Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bilge Question

Default Bilge Question

Not sure if this should be here or in Service & Repair, but I've noticed that our 03 Outback LSV is bilging water for about 30 seconds every 30-45 minutes. From reading on here, that sounds like it is too frequent. It sounds as though I should check the shaft packing first. This is our first boat, and I basically know zilch about working on it. Therefore, I have no idea where to look at this. I assume it is somewhere in the engine compartment, but can't be sure. Any help on exactly what to look for would be helpful. Also, let me know if there is anything else I should be looking for with the boat in the water, or immediately after I pull it out. When I remove the drain plug, after use, we never have any water, except for maybe a gallon or two that drips out when we go up the hills on the way home. I just called the place that serviced the boat, and they told me I should bring it in to have it looked at. They are about two weeks out on service and repairs, so that would cause me to miss two weekends of lake time

Quote Originally Posted by supervol0509 View Post
    Not sure if this should be here or in Service & Repair, but I've noticed that our 03 Outback LSV is bilging water for about 30 seconds every 30-45 minutes. From reading on here, that sounds like it is too frequent. It sounds as though I should check the shaft packing first. This is our first boat, and I basically know zilch about working on it. Therefore, I have no idea where to look at this. I assume it is somewhere in the engine compartment, but can't be sure. Any help on exactly what to look for would be helpful. Also, let me know if there is anything else I should be looking for with the boat in the water, or immediately after I pull it out. When I remove the drain plug, after use, we never have any water, except for maybe a gallon or two that drips out when we go up the hills on the way home. I just called the place that serviced the boat, and they told me I should bring it in to have it looked at. They are about two weeks out on service and repairs, so that would cause me to miss two weekends of lake time
    Sounds like pack bushing to me as mine is just as bad. To see for yourself look for your prop shaft in the engine compartment. If you are on the water, you will probably see it dripping water pretty easily. It is located low in the compartment but should be easy to spot as the pack bushing is bronze and the shaft is silver. I think it's easier to see from the the transmission/V drive access compartment under the rear seat than it is to see from the top (engine access cover).
    Last edited by REDFIVE48; 07-01-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

What am I looking for, as far as the access compartment goes? My rear seat will completely pull out and up. Can I get in there pretty easily? Use a screwdriver? Also, if this is the problem, is it anything of immediate concern? We pull the boat out of the water after every use, so I don't think we are in danger of sinking. Anything else that this can affect?

What am I looking for, as far as the access compartment goes? My rear seat will completely pull out and up. Can I get in there pretty easily? Use a screwdriver? Also, if this is the problem, is it anything of immediate concern? We pull the boat out of the water after every use, so I don't think we are in danger of sinking. Anything else that this can affect?
    Page 50 of the manual (use this one if you don't have a paper copy: http://moomba.com/downloads/owner_manuals/moomba_03.pdf)

Shaft Log Packing Nut section.

I don't have your year and model so not sure if you have the same V drive access compartment that I do. On my 06 LSV if I slide the rear seat forward, there is a white cover that I can pull up and use to access the v-drive and see the packing nut. If you don't have that, then access from your side lockers after you drop the engine walls down (assuming yours are like mine or at least similar).

I was getting a lot of water and couldn't find the source. Till I looked in the ski locker and saw it gushing out of the side of the empty pump up there. It was cracked across the side and water was blasting out of it while running (and I'm sure leaking out while not running). Replaced it with one from the rear and put a bigger pump in the rear.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

So, I checked the v-drive access compartment yesterday. It was kind of tough to tell anything. There was water in that compartment up to just below the packing nut, so I'm not sure how much it was dripping. Should the water be dripping directly from the packing nut, or should I be looking elsewhere? About the water in the compartment, it could be a result of the water intrusion issue, or it could be from me submarining the boat into a wave the day before (which was an accident).

So, I checked the v-drive access compartment yesterday. It was kind of tough to tell anything. There was water in that compartment up to just below the packing nut, so I'm not sure how much it was dripping. Should the water be dripping directly from the packing nut, or should I be looking elsewhere? About the water in the compartment, it could be a result of the water intrusion issue, or it could be from me submarining the boat into a wave the day before (which was an accident).
    Yes, mine drips from the packing nut, but after spending multiple hours on Saturday repacking with goretex pack, am hoping not to see any drips when I get back on the lake today for a test (finished under the lights on Saturday). Repacking the thing is no fun job, but after I figured out that I need to tighten the pack nut after the first 2 strips go in so I can get the 3rd in, all was fine. Then tightened down again after 3rd and was able to get the 4th in.
    Unfortunately I scratched the shaft with my packing removal tool, am hoping this isn't a big deal.

It would drip from the packing nut. If you have water to the bottom of that, then you aren't going to see it drip. (Try getting everyone to the bow to move the water out of the way. It is supposed to drip once every minute (I have ours 1 every 30 seconds) to keep it cool and lubricated...
    2017 Moomba Craz
    400 Indmar Rapter 6.2L
    "X-ceeding Limits"

2004 Supra 22 Launch SSV-crushed by a massive oak tree. RIP 4/1/2023
    325 Indmar Assault 320 HP
    "One more hour"

Default Bilge Question

Subscribed...

My bilge is always automatically blasting water out. It's very annoying when tied up with another boat on the bilge side (water goes EVERYWHERE). I must have this exact problem.
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Default Bilge Question

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    Yes, mine drips from the packing nut, but after spending multiple hours on Saturday repacking with goretex pack, am hoping not to see any drips when I get back on the lake today for a test (finished under the lights on Saturday). Repacking the thing is no fun job, but after I figured out that I need to tighten the pack nut after the first 2 strips go in so I can get the 3rd in, all was fine. Then tightened down again after 3rd and was able to get the 4th in.
    Unfortunately I scratched the shaft with my packing removal tool, am hoping this isn't a big deal.
    Did this solve your problem!? If so can you elaborate on this "repacking" process? I read the page in the Manual listed above, but it doesn't say much other than to check it periodically...
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...