Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rope less tips?

Hybrid View

Default rope less tips?

Not sure if I can tell where the pocket is to go rope less? I think I need to be closer to the boat? how does the wake look? I'm running 900 in the rear, center full and IBS bag. I have been running at 10.5-11, and played with the wake plate up and down. Thanks guys

IMGP0009.jpg
    Dave
    2006 Mobius LSV, Upgrades.....900 rear Bags, IBS Bag, Wetsounds tower speakers, JL 12" sub, JL cabin speakers, JL amp, Clarion deck, Clarion transom and helm remote, dual batteries w perko switch, depth gauge w air\water temp, 1433 prop, travel snap cover.

Hold that rope out in your left hand and only use it if you are losing the pocket. Stand down on your front foot till you start catching the boat then brake with your back foot. You will find out you need about 80-90% gas and only 5-10% brake. Also, have any other occupants sit on the wave side.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

We teach all our new riders to hold the rope in their front hand until they are comfortable going clear back to the foam in the wave and pumping all they way back to the swim deck without using the rope to do it. Pocket is 6-7 feet long-ish, and it's where the board wants to take off on you and run towards the boat. Also keep your board pointed at whichever surf corner you are using, port for regular or starboard for goofy. That should keep the rail of the board in the correct orientation to the wave, or close anyways. You aren't so much surfing "down" the wave, as you are "with" it. Youtube the heck outta surf videos too, it'll help all your riders.
    2007 LSV

and quit tossing the rope so darn soon (everybody does this). If you got slack you ARE surfing. Learn the wave and how to control the board for a few weeks.

The very act of tossing the rope will cause you to loose the wave.

I always have to tell people just learning: "you throw that damn rope back in the boat again, your done surfing for the day".

Yup, I tell them to wait till they are tired and then drop the rope. Ride as long as you can and then when you lose it its time for the next person up.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Ill try those tips this weekend...I have notice that I tend to point the nose away from the boat, so ill try and keep it close to the corner. Also my legs are on fire after about 5-10 min is that just old guy talking? lol
    Dave
    2006 Mobius LSV, Upgrades.....900 rear Bags, IBS Bag, Wetsounds tower speakers, JL 12" sub, JL cabin speakers, JL amp, Clarion deck, Clarion transom and helm remote, dual batteries w perko switch, depth gauge w air\water temp, 1433 prop, travel snap cover.

Default Re: rope less tips?

Don't squat so much..

Really you're probably leaning back with your weight on the back leg. This makes it harder to stay on the wave, ie you're riding with the brakes on.

Either push down with your front foot or move both feet forward so when you're standing straight up the board is moving towards the boat.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Don't squat so much..

Really you're probably leaning back with your weight on the back leg. This makes it harder to stay on the wave, ie you're riding with the brakes on.

Either push down with your front foot or move both feet forward so when you're standing straight up the board is moving towards the boat.
    I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I've been doing, I'll work on that forward foot weight. I've noticed it's hard to move around on the board once I'm up, so I'll try and get it alittle more forward to begin with. Great tips guys!!!
    Dave

There are the tips that made all the difference for me to finally start riding ropeless:

Think of it as riding toe side edge on a snowboard. Put most of your weight on front foot big toe, 65% front / 35% rear. looking at the swim deck helped me as well. Don't pull yourself into the wave the second you get up. Stay back, then surf into the wave. Like others have said, hold on to the damn rope till you are good! I say again, weight on big toe on your front foot is key.

Default rope less tips?

If you're calves and toes aren't burning the next day, you're not "cutting" the board into the wave enough... You should be leaning over yourself slightly to stay in the pocket!

X2 on not squatting. I ride standing straight up and down. I only start bending my knees when I'm cutting up and down the wave for balance!
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...