Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I'm now getting a pretty decent wave for my '13 OBV with the following config:

- 900# ballast in rear lockers (though 750s also work fine)
    - stock 400# bag in center
    - 650# IBS
    - all filled 100%
    - wake plate at 1/2
    - 10.5 mph
    - ghetto gate on non-surf side (see other threads for all kind of ideas how to build these)

My guess is those surf tabs you mention would be the manual Flow, but the cost on that is probably more like $1400 (and as much as $2500 depending on your needs and dealer). My take would be to go with the DIY gate which is much cheaper and just as effective (if not more so).
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Default 2014 Outback V Surf Ballast

Quote Originally Posted by kpanderson07 View Post
    Should I have one board for the kids and one for me?
    Yes. Just like most sports, the right equipment will make a difference in learning curve and enjoyment. You wouldn't share golf clubs with your kids, would you?

Upgrade the bags, keep working on finding the sweet spot and learning how to stay in the pocket and get the kids their own board. Try to get out with some other folks to try different boards so you get an idea of what you like (surf vs skim, etc) and upgrade your board next season.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperyrockTKE300 View Post
    Wish the edit function was available for a longer time.... anyhow.....

I have been surfing behind a Moomba since 2005. I have been thru every imaginable ballast set-up with a DD and the NG Outback V boat. I can tell you thru experience that bigger and more expensive ballast is not always the answer.

You can have a 6 foot tall wave, 20 feet behind the boat and still suck as a surfer.

Please, everyone with a NG OBV....don't rush out and buy things you do not need.

Learn to use the basics (750 in rear corners, stock 400 in front, and a passenger or two) and then as you improve your skills, you may want more and you may be totally satisfied with what works.

The NG OBV is a hell of a surf boat. I'm betting as good as anything in the present Moomba stable - at least what I have seen in pictures so far.

I'd welcome the challenge of going toe to toe with any other Moomba out there with equal ballast.
    I hate to ask this but I just purchased a 2010 outback V.. I'm waiting for it to arrive. Do they all come with ballasts or is that an option? I assumed that they all had the plumbing for rear ballasts. What confuses me is the fact that everyone keeps referring to the "stock front".. Do they all come with a ballast up front??!? I didnt think the one that i just purchased had one.

Almost all of them would have come with stock ballast. On my boat that was a 400 lb. sac in each rear locker and a 400 lb. sac under the floor in the center ski locker. Yours was probably something similar. So, stock would have been around 1200 lbs. total with all full. Usually the first thing folks do is upgrade the rear ones to a pair of 750's or 900's or even 1100's, although I don't know if the 1100's will fit or fill completely in your boat. Sometimes they will then add the IBS up front under the seats. This can add up to around 750 more lbs. Generally, the center bag up front cannot be upgraded because there is just no more room down there. From there you can add extra weight with more bags you fill manually, Or, you can make a cheap surf gate-- or install a more expensive surf system. You can read about every kind of option available on here with a little digging. If you have specific questions, just post them up. These guys have seen or tried everything you can think of. Congrats on the boat. Let's see some pics!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Almost all of them would have come with stock ballast. On my boat that was a 400 lb. sac in each rear locker and a 400 lb. sac under the floor in the center ski locker. Yours was probably something similar. So, stock would have been around 1200 lbs. total with all full. Usually the first thing folks do is upgrade the rear ones to a pair of 750's or 900's or even 1100's, although I don't know if the 1100's will fit or fill completely in your boat. Sometimes they will then add the IBS up front under the seats. This can add up to around 750 more lbs. Generally, the center bag up front cannot be upgraded because there is just no more room down there. From there you can add extra weight with more bags you fill manually, Or, you can make a cheap surf gate-- or install a more expensive surf system. You can read about every kind of option available on here with a little digging. If you have specific questions, just post them up. These guys have seen or tried everything you can think of. Congrats on the boat. Let's see some pics!
    Thank you for the advice! I think i probably paid too much for mine. It's a 2010 outback V that was on the boat trader for a few weeks. It only has 50 hours because the people that owned it never had time to use it. I ended up paying 36k but they are having it shipped to my lake so that offsets some of the cost. I was worried that i purchased the wrong boat and that I should have purchased the moomba mondo 14' that i found in Alabama for 46k.. either way I can upgrade next year. This was my first boat so I'm sure that I have a lot more to learn before i spend 80k on a ski boat.

Sounds a little high but with the low hours and shipping included it's not too far off. You are also at the beginning of the season still when the boats are generally highest. Don't look back. Enjoy your new boat!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!