Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 2014 Outback V Surf Ballast

We recently received our 2014 Outback V and have had it in the water for nearly a month. We're upgrading from an outboard, so I'm in heaven to say the least. It's great for skiing, awesome for intermediate wakeboarders, such as myself, but the 1,200 lb stock ballast isn't getting the job done for surfing. I've heard about Wakemakers 750 lb upgrade, and I'm curious to know if any of you have gone this route. Also, has anyone used the Wakemakers custom ballast (around 1,200 extra lbs I believe)? My main question is what is the best way to upgrade the ballast for surfing.

Thank you.

Default 2014 Outback V Surf Ballast

Get the 750s for the lockers and the IBS for the bow and you should be good to go. That setup works pretty good for my '13 OBV. Those custom bags would probably be a bit better but they are pretty spendy. Just do a search and you should find a few different how-tos on installing the IBS.

And welcome to the family and watch your checkbook as these guys can help you spend it pretty darn quick!!

Also let's see some pics if the new ride...
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Is the IBS a necessity when adding the 750s in the back? Also, does the IBS require a lot of extra hardware that would amp the price up more?

I have a 2009 OBV.

All you need to create a great surf wave is the pair of 750's in the rear and the stock 400 up front.

Don't even think about the 1100's - been there done that and went back to the 750's.

And to be totally honest - with our boats... if you have the surfing skill, you don't even need to fill any bags. Ain't a big wave, but it is surfable.

I have a 750 lbs fly high fat sac for sale in the classified section. Only used a few times. $110 shipped. A great deal! PM me if you are interested.

Mark
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV

Quote Originally Posted by danraymond View Post
    Is the IBS a necessity when adding the 750s in the back? Also, does the IBS require a lot of extra hardware that would amp the price up more?
    Ed is probably right, but I'm a large guy (6'2" / 230lbs) and very much a rookie surfer, so I need all the help I can get!! That extra bow weight in the IBS does help.

Actually the install is pretty simple -- just tie the IBS into the vent of the stock center bag. No new pumps needed, just a few fittings, a check valve and some extra hose and you'll be good to go. There are probably a few posts on the install if you search the forum, but here is the one I found:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....hlight=install
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Mike, I have a brother in law who is a little bigger than you and he does just fine with what I'm running.

He does prefer the "goofy" side (which does create the best wave) - and he is a pretty good lake and ocean surfer.

When it comes right down to it, IMHO....the more experience you get, the less ballast you need, but one should get what one feels comfortable with.

I just took the 400s from the rear and put them under the bow seats and then ran them from the center bag vent instead of buying an ibs. I can check my wakemakers order for what the hardware cost but it ended up being 80 or 90 dollars extra. Make sure that you put a check valve after you vent the bags under the bow this helps get all the water out of them.

Sent from my VS890 4G using Tapatalk
    1988 Ski Centurion Falcon
    2013 Moomba Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by slipperyrockTKE300 View Post
    He does prefer the "goofy" side (which does create the best wave)
    I wish I could ride the goofy side because that wave is awesome!!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

You can do it.

Like everything, just takes practice.

Every time I go out, I put in time on both sides of the boat.