Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcross25 View Post
    what i do is come in slow, get her straight and the pull in neutral and coast in. give her a little tap to get the nose on the roller, hook up and crank the rest of the 6 inches or so it needs. a boat buddy is on my list though.
    I wish my trailer had rollers, it might be a lot easier to trailer it.
    2005 XLV Gravity Games Edition

Default Need some loading advice

Any tips on centering the back once connected to the winch. That's seems to be our biggest problem but I think sometimes it's because of landings that are not even close to level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jesse

2014 Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by spader View Post
    Any tips on centering the back once connected to the winch. That's seems to be our biggest problem but I think sometimes it's because of landings that are not even close to level.

if you need to, have 2 spotters on the boat when you are loading hold the guide poles equal distance from the gunwale. Once you get used to it, one person can do it. I've found that if I have to do that (holding the guide poles as the tow vehicle is pulling out), we've backed the trailer in a bit too far. I also leave the throttle on while I winch it up the foot or so which eases the stress on the bow eye.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Roller trailers suck because the boat will roll right back off the trailer...you literally need to keep the prop engaged- thankfully wakeboard boats don't come with roller trailers.

Anyways, my wife always drives the boat on the trailer. I find that keeping the trailer a bit shallow (top of the fender even with the water) allows for her to come in fast enough that the boat stays straight and quickly slow down as the boat heads up the trailer. Once on, I hook up the winch rope and have her give it a bit of gas to drive it all the way up.

Every time we load the boat people stand around in amazement that we get out in 30 seconds. She always gets "wow- that's how you load a boat" comments as we drive out ....

Also, when we launch the boat I have everyone get in the boat while waiting, when it's my turn I'll back in and she will fire up the boat, back out into the bay, wait for me to park, and then pick me up on a dock around the corner..we are in and out in seconds..unlike 90% of boaters who have no respect for others ...
    Last edited by brad460; 07-01-2014 at 10:26 AM.

I think you are too deep also. Boat should center itself on the trailer. Try putting the top of the fenders right at water level, might have to winch it up a bit, but it will be straight.
    Jeff

2012 Outback V

I agree with the others. If the trailer isn't too deep, this can't really happen. I always err on the side of having the trailer too shallow if anything. The only time I've come close to damaging my boat is when the trailer was deeper than normal, and right as I was loading, another boats big wake lifted me up and pushed the boat over the bunks. Luckily nothing happened, but now I always have the fenders even with the water.

I also agree with what others have said to the OP's post... If you load your boat w/o damaging it, and are out of the way quickly, you are doing better than 99% of the other boaters at the ramp. There's nothing wrong with bouncing off of the bunks a little to self-center.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

I try to leave the front bunks about 1/3 to 1/2 way out of the water. I back up a little bit further first to wet everything a little bit then pull forward to that spot. Of course the steepness of your ramp will always be a factor. I have done this on other (steeper) ramps and the bow wanted to go under the roller. Had to pull out a bit to get more boat on the trailer.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Dat's what I do too...get the bunks soaked and then pull the trailer up until the top of the fenders are no more than 1" out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    Roller trailers suck because the boat will roll right back off the trailer...you literally need to keep the prop engaged- thankfully wakeboard boats don't come with roller trailers.

Anyways, my wife always drives the boat on the trailer. I find that keeping the trailer a bit shallow (top of the fender even with the water) allows for her to come in fast enough that the boat stays straight and quickly slow down as the boat heads up the trailer. Once on, I hook up the winch rope and have her give it a bit of gas to drive it all the way up.

Every time we load the boat people stand around in amazement that we get out in 30 seconds. She always gets "wow- that's how you load a boat" comments as we drive out ....

Also, when we launch the boat I have everyone get in the boat while waiting, when it's my turn I'll back in and she will fire up the boat, back out into the bay, wait for me to park, and then pick me up on a dock around the corner..we are in and out in seconds..unlike 90% of boaters who have no respect for others ...
    This describes my system with my wife, except she drives the truck. I hate the other boaters that can't engage anyone one of the other 8 people with them to either drive the boat or the truck and instead take up space at the ramp. Even worse if they pull all the way forward or launch all the way forward on the ramp and sit there blocking the whole damn thing like they own it because they are stupid. I sometimes lose the plot and will start yelling at them to move their damn boats back on the ramp, if the person left standing with the boat is too stupid to comprehend, I end up moving it for them so I can do my business. The boat ramp on a crowded weekend is not good for my blood pressure with all the idiots who don't have any common sense or courtesy.
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

No one has mentioned the speed that they come in approaching the trailer. Is this a factor when it comes to bouncing off of things? I find if i go too slow it starts to go sideways. I looked at my front rails and there is really not much margin for error getting that front ridge between them. I think that's whats kicking me sideways.
    2005 XLV Gravity Games Edition