Default Replace Head Unit

My stock Sony CDX-M60UI went out and looking to replace it and not sure if I should get the same head unit or try something different. After reading the reviews on the stock unit I'm leaning towards trying a different head unit, but I want to make sure the driver and transom remote will continue to work.

What else works that doesn't require spending the afternoon in the hatch?
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

I replaced mine with the Kenwood KDC-BT558U. Took only about 15 minutes to install. Only thing I differently was ground it to a distribution block rather than the in boat wiring like the previous head unit.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

I am surprised that you are considering something else. My experience with the M60Ui has been quite good, and I had three of them in three different boats at one point. I still have an M60Ui in my sailboat.

If you want an easy swap, consider staying with Sony. Many of their radios use the same wiring plug, and the remotes are largely interchangeable. Consider one of the newer BT units.

Phil
    Kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Boatdrinks797 View Post
    My stock Sony CDX-M60UI went out and looking to replace it and not sure if I should get the same head unit or try something different. After reading the reviews on the stock unit I'm leaning towards trying a different head unit, but I want to make sure the driver and transom remote will continue to work.

What else works that doesn't require spending the afternoon in the hatch?
    Just make double sure that the HU is truly faulted and that there isn't another external issue.
    You won't get alternate brands of source units to work with the Sony remotes....unless you use a code-learning adapter like you might use with steering wheel remotes....but you really don't want to get involved in all that.
    I have tons of experience with Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion, and Sony source units and haven't found Sony HUs to be problematic. But hey, it's a damp and sometimes wet boat and all it takes is once. However, the Sony remotes have had issues like all other remote controls. Marine remotes can withstand splash but no degree of submersion or pressure. So remotes need to be high on the transom and above the backwash when stopping or suddenly slowing plus no pressure washing in the slightest.

I'm pretty sure it's smoked...Worked when I tucked it away last year and this year it won't eject discs and the buttons on the head unit don't work, but the remotes continue to work. I've tried the reset button with no luck.

You're right, I don't want to mess with adapters and codes. Would all sony marine decks work with the same wire harness installed?
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

Quote Originally Posted by Boatdrinks797 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's smoked...Worked when I tucked it away last year and this year it won't eject discs and the buttons on the head unit don't work, but the remotes continue to work. I've tried the reset button with no luck.

You're right, I don't want to mess with adapters and codes. Would all sony marine decks work with the same wire harness installed?
    Yes and no. There are two Sony basic types. One non-display version with just a 3.5mm 3-conductor plug and another display version with the 3.5mm and a Sony Unilink multi-pin DIN cable. Within each version all the basic functions will operate. However, some of the more detailed ipod control functions might not function the same between different eras of products. Some minor revisions did take place. On the whole they are interchangeable.

Default Replace Head Unit

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    I replaced mine with the Kenwood KDC-BT558U. Took only about 15 minutes to install. Only thing I differently was ground it to a distribution block rather than the in boat wiring like the previous head unit.
    This maybe a stupid question but does the other end of your distribution block goto the battery? I am having problems with engine noise my in speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have two blocks, one for positive and one for negative. Leads from battery go into the block and then dispersed from there to amps, and head unit.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig