Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 05 XLV. Pin Sheered? Tran/vdrive issue? Boat just won't go!

Hi All,
    Today we were cruising somewhere around 10-15mph. When we tried to speed up the engine revved up but the boat slowed to a stop and now will not go. The throttle seems to be working fine. Is there a pin we could have sheered? Or is this likely something more serious?

(third trip out this year...each of the first two required a new tire. Then this!)

thanks!
    05 XLV
    6 Polk Momo 6.5s/Kicker 850.4 for 4 rears,Kenwood stock amp for front 2 speakers, NVS Deviant tower speakers/Kicker 850.4, Kicker 12L7/Kicker 1000.1, Soundstream powerplant distribution (awesome unit), Wetsounds WS-420/Sirius Stiletto 2 in dock, Kenwood, KDC-MP435U/KnuKonceptz wiring, Pair of Optima Bluetops with stinger relay

I'd be looking at your shift cable.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

My buddy had this exact same thing happen this spring. It was a sheer pin near the coupling for his v-drive. Took him about 20 minutes to change it out - working great since.

Good luck.
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

Do you hear the transmission "clunk" into forward and reverse when trying to engage the prop?
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Now that you mention it, I don't think I was hearing it shift into gear. That sounds like a linkage cable eh?
    05 XLV
    6 Polk Momo 6.5s/Kicker 850.4 for 4 rears,Kenwood stock amp for front 2 speakers, NVS Deviant tower speakers/Kicker 850.4, Kicker 12L7/Kicker 1000.1, Soundstream powerplant distribution (awesome unit), Wetsounds WS-420/Sirius Stiletto 2 in dock, Kenwood, KDC-MP435U/KnuKonceptz wiring, Pair of Optima Bluetops with stinger relay

Possibly. Could you get it running on a fake a lake or something. Try putting it into gear and see if any thing happens. You DO NOT want to turn the prop long or at a great speed out of the water since the strut bearings use the water as a lube; in gear at idle will be fine. Running it for a few seconds to check the clunk and prop turning shouldn't hurt a thing. Also check you trans fluid with the boat running and in Neutral, may just be low fluid or a cable that has come loose.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Will have to go buy a plunger and make a fake a lake to try it :P

thanks for the advice. Will post an update when I get it.
    05 XLV

minor update:
    The cable to the transmission seems to be in place and working fine. It moves the lever (is that right?) on the transmission, both in F and R. Have not been able to start it yet.

I noticed some bolts just after the v-drive are a bit loose. I don't know what the part is-it is right under the vdrive. The nuts are on, but i can turn the whole nut/bolt by hand. They wiggle a bit. Is that normal? Would pics help?

Also, getting a bit of a leak around the shaft. Was going to try repacking it soon.
    Last edited by tlatoani; 05-24-2010 at 06:20 PM.
    05 XLV

started it up. Transmission is NOT shifting. Tried shifting it by hand on the tranny and nothing happens. Got a service appointment scheduled.

thanks all
    05 XLV

Bummer. Please keep us updated on what you find out. I have never had this issue or heard of anyone else posting this type of issue. If you could post the fix they give you, it will definately help someone out in the future!!!
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In