Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: INDMAR 5.7 CARB IDLE/BOGGING ISSUES 2004 XLV Throttle Position Sensor?

Yours is the accelerator pump.

Check to make sure it's squirting. This is only for the carb engines. Take the filter off and look down the throttle body, have someone move the throttle to wide open. You should see a small nozel shooting 2 streams of fuel. It should be very strong. On mine the spring/arm wasn't moving enough, I added a small spacer.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Awesome....thanks...I will check the oil sensor and the accell pump. I will post my results once I get the boat out on the lake. going to get it out for a test run this weekend before the 4th gets here.
    2014 Mojo

My carburetor is in the shop getting a rebuild and I suspect it is the accelerator pump. It is the first trouble I've had in the 13 years I owned it.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

ON my carb if I went slowly too wide open throttle it ran fine, but if I tried to hit it hard or quickly to wide open it would stutter and stall...
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    ON my carb if I went slowly too wide open throttle it ran fine, but if I tried to hit it hard or quickly to wide open it would stutter and stall...
    That's an accelerator pump issue. You should adjust the pump lever connection poiunt to get it more stroke when you push the throttle forward.
    2017 Moomba Craz

You should be a Dr. for old guys.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default INDMAR 5.7 CARB IDLE/BOGGING ISSUES 2004 XLV Throttle Position Sensor?

I had a similar problem on my outback. I took the cover off the carb and watched how it was working. Seemed that the floats were stuck so it was dumping too much fuel in the bowls at idle. When I gassed it, it flooded itself and took a few seconds to burn off all the fuel in the carb. I ended up rebuilding it and found that secondary jets were also pretty clogged. The carb was pretty dirty.

Not sure if this helps your problem or not but might be worth looking into a rebuild.

If the TPS doesn't solve the issue I'll check the carb. Life has been too crazy to get it out for a test run.
    2014 Mojo

Installed the tps and worked great for 45 minutes. After that, it was the same thing all over again. The temp got up to 190, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I let it cool off for an hour, but the temp never really came down. No improvement either. I wonder if the new tps is bad, I've heard of them having issues. Only reason I would suspect that is that it ran great for 45 mins. I think if it was a pump it would have not run well from the start. I was able to get about 2500 rpm out of it after jockeying the throttle a bit, fast enough to get back to the dock before dark. If it moved it from that setting it would want to die. Any thoughts?
    2014 Mojo

Hmm.. Just did some more reading. It seems like the fuel pickup tube could be the culprit. This may be the reason that it starts bogging down after a certain period of time. This time, it occurred at 1/2 tank full. Can't remember where it was at last time it happened. Anyway , probably not too expensive and worth investigating. Anyone ever replace on of these?
    2014 Mojo