Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Trailer axle bearing / seal leaking?

Got back from the lake the other day and noticed a bunch of splatter on one of my tires. Upon further investigation, I noticed grease/oil leaking from behind the hub. Also, I have the Vault system in my trailer.
    So, what's wrong and how do I go about fixing it? I'm guessing maybe a rear axle/bearing seal? Do I need to replace bearings, vault cap, etc? I've never had one of these apart so I'm not sure whats inside and/or what to replace. Also, any suggestions on where to get parts if I need them.
    Thanks
    Steve

2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles
    3 vent heater (which my family loves)

Yep that's a leaking seal Steve, just had this problem back in April. You have to replace the seal and repack the bearing with grease. I have some pics of it al torn apart and a list of how to put back together. When I get home I will post them to help unless you are familiar. It was my first time and had guidance from my father who knows this kind of stuff.

Oh and I have a thread on this very same thing where I provided the national parts # replacement so you can just pick it up at a local auto parts store.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Please do a new thread with all the info and I'll make it a sticky in the service area. Thanks!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply and info. If you don't mind and have a chance, I'd appreciate the pics and instruction list. I've never been inside a "vault" before and would appreciate any guidance from someone who's been there and done that. Also, I couldn't find your thread with the national parts #'s. Any chance you could fwd that to me as well. Thanks!
    Steve
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles

Whoa....chance for a 'Sticky'!! I'd like to think I'm some how involved if this comes together and I'd like to be mentioned in the credits....
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles

The main thing that is different about the vaults vs other hubs is that there is an O ring on the inside of the hub that seals against the vault cap. Make sure this is there so water can not enter

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Here is my thread on the write-up How-to with pictures: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....742#post245742

Kane, can you sticky this if it is worthy?

Cigar, thanks for the great how to post!

One quick question for anyone, looking at the pics of my leaky seal, is that a bad enough leak where I need to fix it before trailering the boat to/from the lake again? The reason I'm asking is I'm sure it'll be next week before the hybrid vault grease will make it from pacific trailers and I don't know where to find it locally. Or should I pop the vault cap and just pack some standard wheel grease in the mean time. I obviously don't want to smoke a bearing but I don't want to miss this weekend at the lake... And it's almost 90 miles round trip to the lake.
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles

Quote Originally Posted by ninedriver View Post
    Cigar, thanks for the great how to post!

One quick question for anyone, looking at the pics of my leaky seal, is that a bad enough leak where I need to fix it before trailering the boat to/from the lake again? The reason I'm asking is I'm sure it'll be next week before the hybrid vault grease will make it from pacific trailers and I don't know where to find it locally. Or should I pop the vault cap and just pack some standard wheel grease in the mean time. I obviously don't want to smoke a bearing but I don't want to miss this weekend at the lake... And it's almost 90 miles round trip to the lake.
    Did you just notice the leak when you posted or could it have been like that for a bit?

I would at least try to pull the vault cap off and see what's what, it will give you an idea. You don't HAVE to use the vault lube, it's just recommended like everything else when you buy something.

90 miles round trip I'd say you are ok if you have reasonable grease levels when the cap is pulled and it's not all liquified. If it's liquified I'd pull the hub and regrease until I could replace the seal. I drove for a while with a leaky seal because I didn't notice it but I wouldn't tell you or anyone else to do that.

Your call.

I would think you would be OK for that short of a haul if you pack it with some grease. Here's a tip: use the marine grease as it is very thick and won't run out as easily.

Something like this:

http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/h...Number=8067936

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pennzoil-Mar...1db8a1&vxp=mtr
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!