Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

[QUOTE=Mikey;246069]I know for me i was running 2 passes using the turn island at the other end as my Giddy up go pass, then once at the other end it was a Stop and rest.You guys must be in AMAZING shape to want to Hot DROP... Can;t really see the point.
    QUOTE] We were out for 4 sets at 7am this morning. As I worked through the batting order with 2 other skiers I realized we don't really drop a skier at the end very much unless they are getting in the boat. I normally ski 4 back to back passes in the course (when I dont fall of course) and then drop. Whats the most beneficial about this is the boat and skier both decelerate at the same pace so you end up in the water right next to the boat after you pull out to the right. Then the driver just needs to idle right to pick you up. We typically get our rest as a spotter or driver. Works pretty well to get 3 or 4 sets per skier in 2 hours.
    Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by iwaterskihard View Post
    Chawk - your bro in law is an idiot plain and simple. When someone crashes they need a minute to adjust their marbles or assess what just happened. As such he should slow the boat down and come back to the skier at an idle. This was something I used to nag at my wife about when I was an open water skier. She quickly changed and now that we live on a ski lake it has made her that much better of a driver. Stick to what you're doing. Your riders will appreciate it, and lastly - IT'S SAFER!!!!!!
    No... he's not an idiot... he has been driving a boat a long time. Again, I think I am misunderstanding what is going on.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Back in the early days - when we used to fall a lot and hard - and we had an outboard - our practice was to turn around quickly after a fall and get back to the skier right away. Not at full throttle - but quickly. Our reasons were to ensure they were OK and to protect the skier from other crazy boaters not paying attention. It was not really a power turn since we did not throttle up - but it was almost immediate and significant speed coming back. We no longer do this with our DD ski boat. Years of experience have shown it is not really needed (except the one time we had a guy following us in our bubble path and our boarder fell). In general a big turn will throw a roller down the path you are probably heading back to once your skier gets up. In ope water we normally end up reversing direction after a fall anyhow just to avoid the turn roller (regardless of turn speed)
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I think I know what he is talking about. I used to know some guys that would try to "ski all the way around the boat". You need to be on the same page with a driver that really knows what he's doing. It looks pretty cool when you pull it off. I think I've seen it done at the old Cypress Gardens in FL. I think he's talking about some variation of this.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Lake Lewisville is crowded. When it's windy, everyone crowds into skiers cove. An oval pattern develops and you are expected to turn to the right when your boarder falls so you exit the oval. Needless to say, dropping to idle then turning your 180 back to the boarder is the etiquette. That way the guy coming behind you still has good water to work with.
    We also have a hand signal the rider uses to show he's ok and there's no emergency. We try to wobble the board as we wait for the boat to throw some sun reflections around making us more visible.
    If someone gets in our "bubble path" (that's a new term for me, thanks Benson) we raise holy hell. That's completely unacceptable. Stay back 50+ yards or face our wrath.
    2005 Supra 24 SSV
    Lake Lewisville, Lake Leon
    Texas

Default Re: The "Hot Pick-up"

Qualifier - we love jumping boat wakes on our jet ski. We've been doing it for years and certain etiquette has developed there too.
    Never point the bike directly at the boat. Never hit the primary wake; the second or third ones are usually shaped better for the bike any way. Never allow strangers in to join; they will try and must be told to go away-they don't know the rules. Drivers only drop throttle when the bike is driving away from the boat so when the bike turns for the next run he will see you have already slowed rather than dropping throttle as he approaches possibly causing a collision.
    While in the air, if the bike starts to angle you have to push it off and land separately from the bike or its gonna hurt.
    Can't wait to see what y'all think of that!
    2005 Supra 24 SSV
    Lake Lewisville, Lake Leon
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by garyholl View Post
    Lake Lewisville is crowded. When it's windy, everyone crowds into skiers cove. An oval pattern develops and you are expected to turn to the right when your boarder falls so you exit the oval. Needless to say, dropping to idle then turning your 180 back to the boarder is the etiquette. That way the guy coming behind you still has good water to work with.
    We also have a hand signal the rider uses to show he's ok and there's no emergency. We try to wobble the board as we wait for the boat to throw some sun reflections around making us more visible.
    If someone gets in our "bubble path" (that's a new term for me, thanks Benson) we raise holy hell. That's completely unacceptable. Stay back 50+ yards or face our wrath.
    This is the way I have always done it... just thought it was a thought provoking way. As for power turns... We all do it when we turn the boat around with a skier / boarder don't we?
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's