Hello all,

This being my first year with my LSV, I've spent countless hours on this forum researching and learning. One nugget of information I picked up which has been mentioned in a few threads was to include a dive mask in the "items to have on your boat" kit. I've seen a lot of pics of the lakes some of you guys are on, which you can almost see to the bottom. I mostly boat on Corp of Engineers lakes which are filled by run off and rain water. Basically a 500 acre mud puddle, with visibility of about 12 inches. At first I figured a dive mask would do me little good, but I got one anyway based on forum recommendations and figuring 12 inches of visibility is better than none. Good thing I did!

Yesterday, I was on the lake with the family and 'it' happened. A break down in communication allowed the ski rope under the boat. Fortunately, I was only in idle speed forward and I happened to glance at the rope and saw it begin to go taught from the water to the tower. I immediately shut down the engine and assessed the situation. A tug on the rope confirmed my fear, prop got it. After a brief moment of "serenity now", I gathered my composure, and went right to my onboard "boat kit". I pulled out my brand new dive mask, labels still attached, and went in for a look. I just felt my way to the rudder, got within 12-18 inches and could see just fine. Sure enough, the rope was wrapped around the prop shaft about 8 to 10 times. After a few times coming up for air, I was able to unwrap and free the rope. I inspected the rope for damage, there wasn't any, and we were good to go! Thanks to some excellent advice from fellow Moomba Maniacs, we enjoyed the rest of the day.

So, those of you that have a dive mask, excellent. Those of you that don't have one, get one...now. Don't put it on your 'to do' list. Do it, now. Walmart has them for cheap. Also, get a good knife in case you're unable to unwind the rope as I was.

Thanks again !
Steve