Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post

Also, I thought contour went under..
    Contour did go into bankruptcy. They used to be headquarted a couple hours from me in Seattle. They were reorganized in 2014 and are now headquartered out of Utah with a new CEO that came from Apple.

http://business.transworld.net/14871...new-ownership/

Contour and Gopro both had good products. In the early days, the audio quality on the gopro's was meh. Contour had less of a fisheye and better audio quality (when not in the wind). They also had a great profile for mounting on helmets. They had some very cool innovations too, like the Contour GPS where you could overlay speed, elevation, and a map into your videos. It was pretty cool. They also were the first to have an app for the cam, allowing you to remotely start/stop video as well as use it as a viewfinder.

Ultimately, my Contour GPS became too unreliable as it wouldn't always start and stop the videos when I wanted, leading to missed footage and corrupt files. That's when I finally gave up on my Contour GPS. Missing footage was unacceptable and completely defeated having the cam in the first place.

So I returned my unreliable contour GPS to REI and got my money back, and went out and bought a gopro 3+ black. It's an awesome cam, and I have a blast with it, but I struggled with the idea of using it snowboarding. I was also going to miss how perfectly my contour would mount in the ram air intake of my sportbike...

I wasn't excited about trying to figure out how to mount the gopro on my snowboard helmet in a way that would survive crashes and tight tree runs. So, instead of investing in this or that helmet mount for my gopro, I just went out and bought a contour roam2 on closeout for $100. The top switch couldn't be simpler. Slide the huge glove friendly switch forward and the unit powers up and starts recording. Slide the switch back and the cam stops recording and powers off. Simple and effective.

So, for me, when choosing whether I'd be best off with Contour or GoPro, the answer was "yes". I have one of each. They both have their strengths, so I just pick my preferred cam for the activity.

Oh, and my opinion on why contour went under was because gopro out marketed them, and they snagged the market share early and became unstoppable. They just got more and more momentum and won. Kind of like Apple--they had a good solid product, marketed the hell out of it, got market share, and now are unstoppable.
    Last edited by trayson; 02-20-2015 at 02:01 AM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Tgoody - @A 1:38 - sure looks like a hen....

Funny how Bandit is getting the jump on you almost before getting a shot off. I remember those days. Dog had a more itchy trigger finger than we did.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

yeah I would agree the contour product was a good one and the profile was much better for action sports with helmets.

I have used the chest mount for the gopro while tree skiing as well. different angle and not as much movement from the head bobs. you may give it a try
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Default All Things GoPro

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    You had the boat listed pretty good at 1:10

I'm guessing that was more that factory ballast? How was the surf wave?

Loved the slow motion on the shell casing ejecting.

And those camo facemasks aren't creepy at all!
    Had to get the front end high enough to get up on the ice, which was putting the ole 20hp mercury to the test lol

Duck Dynasty has beards, We have Masks lol

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Tgoody - @A 1:38 - sure looks like a hen....

Funny how Bandit is getting the jump on you almost before getting a shot off. I remember those days. Dog had a more itchy trigger finger than we did.
    Yea guess we're overpopulated these days in AR. You can kill 4 mallards, 2 being hens! And yes Bandit is quick off the platform when the guns go 💥BOOM! But he also hates when we miss and he jumps in for no reason so he sometimes brings a decoy back just to piss us off lol
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

I sure like that dog!

Quote Originally Posted by tgoody14 View Post
    And yes Bandit is quick off the platform when the guns go 💥BOOM! But he also hates when we miss and he jumps in for no reason so he sometimes brings a decoy back just to piss us off lol
    That's awesome!!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Default All Things GoPro

Hey guys, I've been reading this and other threads trying to get some insight on settings, mounts,mount location, etc. I just picked up a Hero4 Silver last week, along with a 64 GB card and a few accessories (including the floaty back door and handlebar mount).

I recorded some wake surfing over the weekend mounted on the grab rail using 1080p 60fps Superview with Protune. Video seemed pretty decent but I'm wondering if there isn't a better setting to run at. Also, how do you avoid water droplets and spots?! I've read some about using rainX or saliva.

I recorded a video of my son and his friends on the tube as well, mounted on the tower (anchor light post). Vid was cool for wide shot but it would have been nice to see them up closer.

I also recorded a few golf swings, as I thought that might be fun to look at in slow motion.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm new to GoPro and GoPro Studio. It's pretty trippy watching yourself on video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

I got pretty used to using 720p superview on my GoPro 3+ Black (I think that was the best compromise between resolution and frame rate). So I just kept using that when I upgraded to the 4 silver.

One day I did find by accident a video + photo mode that was actually kind of cool. It takes your video, but also saves a JPG every 5 seconds, so you not only get your video but you get a bunch of stills without having to screen capture. I haven't used it much like that because it does clutter up your card, but it's nice to know you have it.

I like burst photo mode too (using the remote control). I am not a fan of the app. just one more thing your phone has to do. I love the remote (it's great for getting shots using the telescoping pole mount) and it makes it so ANYONE can control the starting and stopping of the video. With burst mode, I'll usually get 1 or 2 really cool shots from a surf session. and really, isn't that what we're really looking for? Just a cool shot or two? Video gets old after a while. I mean, yeah, I can get out and rip it up on a surfboard, but really if I'm not adding some crazy new trick or something, it's honestly more of the same.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default All Things GoPro

Any advice on avoiding water droplets and spots?

2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    Any advice on avoiding water droplets and spots?

Rain-X?
    Some people use spit.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com