Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exile MKII ZLD

Default Exile MKII ZLD

Got my new ZLD in and wanted to give my thoughts, likes, dislikes on it.

First, like all Exile products shipping was fast,

If you never owned a ZLD then this next section won't matter, but owning one and having it pre mounted this next section is interesting.

First having the original one mounted, I was thinking hey Plug and Play, swap RCA's swap power ground remote block, unscrew a couple screws and I'm done.

yea not so much...

First the Case is designed slightly different, the side mounts are wider apart, also the new brackets don't allow a back and forth slide adjustment to make it easier to flush mount it. The holes are drilled and no adjustment is available.

Second the new power plug is much smaller then version 1, power, remote, ground are the same location but you must change the wires over. Also the new block has really small jewelers flat head screws, not the same size as the old one. This caused me to have to get a second screw driver as my normal one to tune the amps was too big.

Third is the nomenclature on the new ZLD is different. It is listed as Cabin, Tower, Sub due to the true zone control it has, when changing RCA's I had to guess which is my cabin and tower, old ZLD said Front, Rear, Sub.

I set the Main and AUX gains on the ZLD to 90% as recommended by Exile.
    I have not turned my Amp gains down yet as I am going to get the system re-tuned anyhow.

After getting these thing changed, I used the old brackets that are adjustable to allow it a flush mount where mine is mounted under the dash.

On to the unit's functionality.

Main Volume dial is large and easy to use, I don't like that there is no DOT or Hash, or bevel to allow me to easily see what volume level I am at. I will need to paint a Dot or something to know the volume. I like to use 3 settings basically, low, 1/2 and 3/4 are my main volume points and with no markings I was constantly going to 0 then back up.

Cabin, Tower, and Sub are true separate volume controls now. You can turn each zone off, turn one up louder then the other or lower. This is all dependent on the main volume of course.

For me I don't mess with my Cabin level. I set it to 75% and then use the main Volume knob.

I personally use the Tower volume the second most, I don't like that its next to the main volume because it's a pretty small dial. i would have been happier is they mounted it farther away in the Sub position. I also use my Sub volume a lot to make sure I don't over drive the sub on heavy bass tracks, also sometimes the music has so much base everything is vibrating off the dash, such as my phone lol.

Once I got used to the new volume locations for my tower and Sub everything was ok.

Sound,

When I first fired it up the biggest thing I noticed was my Sub was really pounding now. It has always pounded but not at 25% volume. So I know I have to watch it now LOL.

Over all the sound quality is much better, best thing I noticed is no light noise from my tower. I have had this since we moved into the HLCD market, my wires are all good, gains are down, its just a noise I have always had when nothing is playing. its very feint and most don't notice it, but I do lol.

Also now when i turn the unit off I don't get this annoying Bass thump. It was due to the ZLD being an instant off and sending a signal or something to my sub amp and making it thump.

Old Exile amps used to do this too, Exile went back and installed a resister on the shut down side of the amp to stop this noise, I assume the first gen ZLD didn't have this slow power down function and the new one does.

Though out the day yesterday the stereo was loud as normal, a couple times we got to loud and caused the towers to pop a little, and then we had to turn it down some, this is due to the amp gains not being turned down enough. I want to say my amp gains are about 20% right now, so going to have to go to 105 or even 5%.

Overall though I think Exile did a great job on the new MK II ZLD.
    Talking to them they are already working on notching the main volume, and making the brackets with a slide adjustment.

Few pics of the Old, and the changes with the new, also a pic how mine is mounted because another Mojo owners was curious. I didn't snap a pic of the new installed because its the same as the old position.

Mounting location

Mounted right unto the fiberglass with screws. Its thick enough for the screws to bite, never has loosened up.

New ZLD bottom side.

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

little threadjack,

Mike what are the xtra ballast switchs for
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    little threadjack,

Mike what are the xtra ballast switchs for
    Thats ok lol.

Left is my IBS pump, I have a dedicated pump, I did not piggy back off my hard tank.
    Right one is my X link pump, it allows me to drain 1 bag to the other for faster switch over times. I don't use though because it messes with the fill timers on the fill and drain and eventually I have to hit the switch over and over to fill or drain a bag to get it to say 100 or 0 again lol. Now its more of a back up LOL
    [COLOR="#696969"]

understood. always wondered if the X link would do that.

threadjack over
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Zond Line Driver?

As always, nice write up. I know someone who was hoping for a simple swap but it doesn't sound too bad to switch from the old to the new.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I set the Main and AUX gains on the ZLD to 90% as recommended by Exile.
    I have not turned my Amp gains down yet as I am going to get the system re-tuned anyhow.
    How can there be an arbitrary "90%" gain stage? The head-unit, music source, amps, battery voltage, chnls wired at 2 or 4 ohm, etc, etc, will determine where the EQ's gain is set. Why the need for adjustable gains, if they will all be set at 90%????

Any explanation yet for the benefit of an on the fly need to change the sub phase?

Since the EQ has a redundant low-pass cross-over, how did you tune the sub when the sub chnl is low-pass only?

Default Exile MKII ZLD

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Zond Line Driver?
    I thought the same thing when I unboxed mine last Tuesday.
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Is there a reason why you wouldn't just set the ZLD to 75% volume at all times, and then just use your remote for the stereo to adjust the volume? This is what I've done with my EQ's in the past, wondering if I'm missing something.... I just know that I don't want to go over 35 on my radio's volume remote, and my EQ is always set to the same volume. I just find it easier to hit volume buttons when in a boat than turning a knob.

Obviously this would only be if running your input through your stereo, and not directly through the aux in for the ZLD, in which case, ignore me.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by csm View Post
    Is there a reason why you wouldn't just set the ZLD to 75% volume at all times, and then just use your remote for the stereo to adjust the volume? This is what I've done with my EQ's in the past, wondering if I'm missing something.... I just know that I don't want to go over 35 on my radio's volume remote, and my EQ is always set to the same volume. I just find it easier to hit volume buttons when in a boat than turning a knob.

Obviously this would only be if running your input through your stereo, and not directly through the aux in for the ZLD, in which case, ignore me.

If you use your head unit that works.

I only use my phone. My head unit isn't even plugged into my stereo system.

Same in my Vette, I only use my phone. You look into it (convertible) looks factory Bose system but I am running an Exile set up in it.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Zond Line Driver?

As always, nice write up. I know someone who was hoping for a simple swap but it doesn't sound too bad to switch from the old to the new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post
    I thought the same thing when I unboxed mine last Tuesday.
    This is where Exile needs to step their game up and I mean seriously. Every email I get from them is littered with a bunch of incorrectly spelled words and grammar errors and it just looks really unprofessional. Someone on WW had mentioned the last email blast they sent out and said that Exile needs to hire a new marketing head or even a recent undergrad fresh out of college who would be more than willing for some work just to proofread their stuff and I totally agree. Where's the QC on those products? They are shipping out product with misspelling of the word Zoned, come on! Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things to some, but it is if you think about Brian trying to build his brand. Companies who build a brand successfully weed these little things out. Just my $0.02 and I'll get off my soapbox now.

Thanks Mike for the write-up.
    Last edited by Cigars n scotch; 06-10-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale