Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

when I'm beaching my boat (at least twice every time I take it out), the skegs usually dig in before the bow hits the sand. The prop never makes contact.

But....most Florida lakes have a gradual shift in depth (like ocean beaches). There are no sudden drop offs into deep water.

I always shut the engine off in 3 feet of water when I'm heading towards shore and let the boat slowly drift in until it stops.

Here is the product I was thinking of....

http://www.westmarine.com/megaware-k...17_513_002_007

We use the rule that the shape of the land above water will continue below water as a way to estimate the slope. If the shoreline is slipping sharply to the beach you could proly beach it but if it ids a shallow slope then anchor off shore. Side note-We moor our boat in front of the house in the summer using a danforth anchor and a moor ball for the front and a POLYPROPYLENE rope to show. The poly rope will stretch allowing me to "load" it so the boat has some give and can still move around a little.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    2005 Supra 24 SSV
    Lake Lewisville, Lake Leon
    Texas

Wow! Spell check butchering!
    That should read sloping sharply to, if it is a, and, rope to shore, not show.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    2005 Supra 24 SSV
    Lake Lewisville, Lake Leon
    Texas

Default Protection from beaching

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses!!!

Jordan
    2014 moomba möbius lsv

why would you run a boat that you pay as much as a small house for into the same type of process.
    Jump and swim, thats what we do....
    2007 Moomba Outback V

why do I beach?

In Florida there are more boat ramps than there are docks. Plenty of beach.

We don't have rocky shorelines or steep muddy cliffs.

Once the boat is in the water - you want to stay away from the ramp/dock area.

When my boat initially hits the water, I take it for a warm up spin, then I head back to the beach to pick up the wife. She walks up to the bow, spins the boat around, climbs in and off we go.

When it is time to trailer the boat, the wife beaches the boat, I jump out, spin the boat around and off she goes.

During the winter months when the water is pretty chilly, my guests only have to walk in about a foot of water to climb onto the swim platform...and off we go.

The boat is a recreational vehicle. I treat it as such.

This is a funny thread and this topic always amuses me to see the different and strong opinions either way. I used to be in the "I will never beach my boat" camp, but as of late I've come to realize that there is no real big deal with it and proper use of caution and anchoring can help. Plus my daughter really likes to play on the beaches. I boat on a lake and there's many fingers and coves off the main channel but there's also some places which aren't quite in the main channel but are within area of rollers coming in that have little beaches because of an island or whatever. There is a sandbar which gets to about 2-3 in the middle that everyone goes to and we'll just anchor there, but for the beaches I just pull up till about 4-5 ft. depth, cut the engine and hop out to pull the boat in the rest of the way. Then I just anchor the stern to prevent it from shifting to the sides (which would bring my prop into the shallower water which I don't want). That's about it. Otherwise we just use a bow anchor and a stern anchor to keep the boat in place when rafted, sometimes just a bow anchor is needed.

I have a white hull so for those of you with a dark gel I can understand your stance. When I was looking for a Supra I looked at a 21V that was in Boise, ID and the keel was all scratched to hell from them beaching but it was owned to two younger guys who probably partied more than they did anything else. I did not buy that boat. It was black btw.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

I beach quite often but then there is no other boats around to make a wave or even just let it float around. When you get age on the boat small scratches on the bottom is the least of one's concerns.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zabooda; 06-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default Protection from beaching

I beached my last boat for years. After that amount of time I wore a flat spot on my hull. I also broke my rudder bearing when waves came in one time and basically picked the back of the boat up and slammed it back on the rudder. Now I have an anchor with anchor buddy and will never beach again. Just my experience.
    -Jake