Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I was thinking that the decrease in speed would heighten the wave out and give me more push. If speeding up lengthens the wave, logic told me that slowing down would heighten it...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I was thinking that the decrease in speed would heighten the wave out and give me more push. If speeding up lengthens the wave, logic told me that slowing down would heighten it...
    To a point it does the above.

When you slow down, you do get more push on the Transition, or front of the wave coming right out the back of the boat. If you slow down too much though you lose both push and length because you are not <eating> enough water under the boat. It just plows through it.

Most boats like 10mph, and then you adjust around .5 up. We tend to run at 11 and when you ran with us, Goofy was 10.5 and Reg was actually 11.5. This is due to weight in the boat.

Surfing is similar to wake boarding when weighting, the more weight, the faster you need to go to get it clean.

The other effect of speed when surfing is, Running a lot of weight at 10 you get a HUGE transition and TONS of power on the front of the wave, so you speed up to allow the boat to plane a little more and thus flattening out the transition section and this in turn pushes the power in the wave farther back.

It will also make the pocket longer in length, but shorter in height.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    To a point it does the above.

When you slow down, you do get more push on the Transition, or front of the wave coming right out the back of the boat. If you slow down too much though you lose both push and length because you are not <eating> enough water under the boat. It just plows through it.

Most boats like 10mph, and then you adjust around .5 up. We tend to run at 11 and when you ran with us, Goofy was 10.5 and Reg was actually 11.5. This is due to weight in the boat.

Surfing is similar to wake boarding when weighting, the more weight, the faster you need to go to get it clean.

The other effect of speed when surfing is, Running a lot of weight at 10 you get a HUGE transition and TONS of power on the front of the wave, so you speed up to allow the boat to plane a little more and thus flattening out the transition section and this in turn pushes the power in the wave farther back.

It will also make the pocket longer in length, but shorter in height.
    makes sense. lots to play with an experiment with, that's for sure.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

So, I relocated my fuel breather and drained the 22 gallons out of my tank and changed my fuel filter. Filled with new gas and once the bad gas was out of the lines, we were good to go.

Again, we filled the 370 tube sack under the rear seat and had the pair of 750's on either side of the doghouse. The boat sat mostly flat with a slight (couple inches) list to the port. We fine tuned with the placement of the rear seat spotter.

Bottom line is that I won't go back to listing. Today I had all the push I needed. I was riding my Ronix Caption 5'8 because just as we were leaving the dock my Koal illumanati dropped and cracked the tip of one of the tails and needs some fiberglass repair love.

I was able to ride way further back in the pocket. I was able to carve and shred the wave just fine. We were able to drop our surf speed from being in the 10 to 11 range down to being between 8.3 and 9 mph. The boat isn't working as hard and isn't slammed as much. We had some big rollers go by us and took no water over the stern. We have zero issues with dunking the nose either. With the ballast full, we can easily chill out and have lunch and be COMFORTABLE in the boat. Also, we can drive sitting down. It was bad enough before that I either sat on the top of the backrest of the chair, or just stood up to drive. Swapping from regular to goofy was literally a 10 to 20 second changeover.

Since we're not having to double stack bags, we were able to get 2 ballast pumps going at the same time to fill the 750's while my reversible impeller pump took care of the tube sack under the rear seat.

There is no adverse handling of the boat when going back to get the rider. If you turn against the blade, you kind of notice it but honestly it's not even something you notice unless you're looking for it. The boat comes out of the hole just fine and the wave is clean as soon as Perfect pass has you at surf speed.

We'll get some pics posted up but I would do this again in a heartbeat. Some of you might poo-poo what I've done, but the overall enjoyability of our boat just took a huge leap. I'm going to chalk this up as a success.

None of the pics are on my phone, so I only have a quick mirror shot.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I think you have used some great innovation and took a risk that not many would with your design, I for one would love to try surfing behind your boat this summer. I got plenty of time off so I don't mind the drive LOL.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I think you have used some great innovation and took a risk that not many would with your design, I for one would love to try surfing behind your boat this summer. I got plenty of time off so I don't mind the drive LOL.
    Let's do it! I'm off all next week. But I don't think your sabatical starts by then.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Here are a couple better pics of the wave. Now, is it a wave that tops a $40k to $100k vdrive? Probably not. But for a 1992 direct drive, I'm pretty happy.

This is only the 2nd time I've rode goofy. I'm a newb at it. And obviously regular is better on my boat. But FWIW, here's the goofy wave.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Let's do it! I'm off all next week. But I don't think your sabatical starts by then.
    Pretty booked up.

Sunday
    Wash Truck, Install the wireless speed control, retune my stereo for the new ZLD MKII I installed. Prep boat for Wake the World Portland Monday.

Monday Wake the World Portland

Tuesday Clean boat, from Monday. Remove all the gear.

Wednesday goto AWS have them replace my M O on my Starboard side because its peeling off when surfing.
    Warranty the factory headunit, no display
    Look at the wake plate again for going down on its own
    Look at my RPM gauge because it gets stuck at 1K when the boat is doing 3K

Then pack for the Texas Jam Trip

Thursday Fly to Texas

Friday = My Birthday and Texas Party

Saturday More Texas Party

Sunday Fly home

Monday Spend the day on Hagg Lake
    Tuesday Yard work, wash the Vette and pack for Lake Billy for 4th weekend

Wednesday work
    Thursday show up at work but not really do anything but think about LBC weekend
    Thursday Night drive up to 3 Rivers at LBC

Friday Saturday Sunday, take random pictures so I remember the weekend at LBC LOL

Monday, Tuesday Recover, and try to get with Millerdad to install his new Exile system LOL.

Sabbatical officially start July 19-Sept-18th
    Last edited by mmandley; 06-21-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Re: Trayson's DIY "Supra Surf System" (SSS) modeled after the NSS

Friday = My Birthday and Texas Party
    uhh ohh

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

trayson, I would call that a success, way to go.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart