Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fuel line damaged by floor boards

This weekend I installed a set of the Johnson ballast pumps. In the process, I pulled the floor up to install some 1" tubing. I started hearing a weird noise, like a large insect flying around me. Once I decided it wasn't a giant killer bee trying to eat me, I pinpointed the noise to the fuel line between the tank and the filter. There was a pin-hole leak in it, it was "gurgling" just a little as air was being drawn into the hose to equalize the pressure of the changing temperature (evening).

It was then quite obvious: the hose was rubbing against the bottom edge of the floor panel and had worn a fatigue point. There are several design/install issues that I could see. The mounting of the filter and hose clamps pointed the hoses upward, putting pressure against the floor; if they had been aligned differently, the hoses probably would have laid flat against the tank. Secondly, the carpet was wrapped around the edge of the panel and offered some protection, but the carpet on mine has started to wear away leaving the sharp edge exposed.

IMG_1974_e.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

For now, my quick fix was to replace the hose (it was 1/2" but the parts stores around here only had 7/16" which fit fine) and I slipped a scrap chunk of the 1" water tubing over it for protection.

IMG_1975.jpg

I'd recommend a quick check on your boats. You can inspect this from the V-drive access without removing the floor panel. I felt like my boat had a stronger than normal gasoline smell after sitting for a while (about like a normal carbureted engine). I think this has diminished but it could be placebo effect. In any case, leaking fuel/vapor is pretty serious and it will only take a moment to check.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Thanks for the heads up, strange thing is the fuel lines on my 06 go a different way then yours. I'll get a picture this weekend, but they go out of the tank straight to the stern then turn left to the filter.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Good post Greg - any member out there who has a spare 5 minutes should do a quick check. Maybe yours was just a fluke, but anyone else should find out for yourself!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

that is a good find, I will have to check mine. Every now and then I get a stronger than normal smell of gas when I go in the garage. How do you get the floor up. I don't recall seeing any screws holding it in? Do you just remove the v drive cover and pull?
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    that is a good find, I will have to check mine. Every now and then I get a stronger than normal smell of gas when I go in the garage. How do you get the floor up. I don't recall seeing any screws holding it in? Do you just remove the v drive cover and pull?
    No, there are screws that you have to find. They are there, just hidden in the carpet. The rear section is easier because the screws are in the corners. I used an awl and tapped in the carpet until I heard the metallic clink when I hit a screw. (On the forward section, the screw by the drivers seat was not in the corner but along the edge pretty much half way along the length - I think some have only had 3 in this panel.)

But... you should be able to check this without pulling up the floor. Just lift the V-drive cover and look at the fuel lines just as they come out from under the floor. I think there would be enough wiggle room to see if your lines are getting rubbed against the edge of the floor.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Great, decided to pull up the floor to get a good look at the lines as well as see what was under there. Everything looked good with the lines and cleaned some nasty smelling gunk out while I was there. Thanks
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Update: After fixing this, I have never noticed the gas smell after the boat sits under a cover. In fact, I had completely forgotten about it. So I definitely had a serious problem but it was easily remedied. I feel lucky that I had the floor up and was working in that area that evening when there was a good change in the air temperature. I don't think I would have ever found this otherwise.
    2007 Mobius LSV

It's a good reminder to always run your blower before starting the engine. Fumes can come from the strangest places.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I would recommend replacing those wire nuts with butt connectors.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    I would recommend replacing those wire nuts with butt connectors.
    Ha! That's not what you're supposed to be looking at in those pictures! That was just some temporary wiring to make sure I had everything connected correctly (ballast switches and pumps). All wirenuts have been long since replaced.
    2007 Mobius LSV