Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need some loading advice

Hey All,

Been lurking for a while, wanting some advice on loading my boat smoothly. I've been doing it for about a year now and am comfortable with most tasks now, but i'm still not as smooth as i'd like to be loading the boat onto the trailer.

I do the engage-disengage the tranny thing and keep it in a straight line leading into the trailer, but as soon as it hits the rails it gets kicked a little sideways on the trailer. It will right itself if i just let it sit for a couple of seconds and then I go ahead and finish, but it's still a little embarrassing at the dock when this happens.

Thanks...
    2005 XLV Gravity Games Edition

I know you're stress, my bro Steve trailers my boat more then me. What I find works best is kneeling in the center and watching the Ford emblem on my tailgate. You want the boat going as slow as possible. The reason your bouncing side ways is the V on the nose clears your guide poles but then the width of the boat his them. This is due to the way you aim. Try my idea see if it helps.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I know you're stress, my bro Steve trailers my boat more then me. What I find works best is kneeling in the center and watching the Ford emblem on my tailgate. You want the boat going as slow as possible. The reason your bouncing side ways is the V on the nose clears your guide poles but then the width of the boat his them. This is due to the way you aim. Try my idea see if it helps.
    It's a fine line I guess, cuz i've tried going slower and that causes me to start getting sideways too.lol

I try to approach a little from the left, meaning fore of the boat is nearly centered and aft is a little to the port side. Then, when I hit reverse it pulls the aft to center. If you time it right you can drive right on.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I try to approach a little from the left, meaning fore of the boat is nearly centered and aft is a little to the port side. Then, when I hit reverse it pulls the aft to center. If you time it right you can drive right on.
    You hit reverse when your approaching the rails? Never tried that...

First do not worry about everyone else. Second if you get out of the ramp in a timely manner and without a screaming match with your other half you are doing a great job.

You are going to have a little bounce because the trailer is going to want to line up the boat. The best thing to do is when launching pick a spot on the trailer that you are lined up with. For me it is my spare tire. This is the mark i aim for every time when recovering the boat. Depending on wind and current I will change this and in high wind and current as long as i get the nose between the two guide poles I am happy.

I am not a big fan of using reverse since it kicks your back end out if the timing is not correct but that is a personal choice. Find what works best for you.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

get a Boat Buddy.

If your off line at first, the roller pads will align you properly, then give it some throttle and you will be locked onto the trailer.

I back the truck down the ramp, my wife drives the boat onto the trailer. I never have to get out of the truck to see what's going on.

what i do is come in slow, get her straight and the pull in neutral and coast in. give her a little tap to get the nose on the roller, hook up and crank the rest of the 6 inches or so it needs. a boat buddy is on my list though.
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

Some great advice..thanks all. This might be the best of them all..lol

"First do not worry about everyone else. Second if you get out of the ramp in a timely manner and without a screaming match with your other half you are doing a great job. "- courtesy of jester..

I simply use the winch to get it on. Powering on wrecks the gravel ramp. It takes a couple of experiments to find the correct amount to back in, but after that it works like a charm.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini