Default Fuel Tank Removal

Anybody out there know how to remove the fuel tank in an 02 outback?
    02 Moomba Outback

I had an 03 Outback.

Thinking back, it seems to me removing the tank wouldn't be a huge deal.

Remove the flooring from the ski locker ( I think mine was in two sections), disconnect the fill and drain tubes and with the gas removed, lift up the tank.

Would you like to share why it is important to remove the gas tank as that isn't something that is done often.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I was having issues with the boat running properly. I took it into my local dealer and they rebuilt the carb. They showed me the fuel they took out of it and it was full of crud and water. They suggested cleaning the tank to prevent more carb issues. They are so booked up with service work that it would be another two to three weeks before they could do it, plus another $600-$700. They told me that it was something I could do.

I pulled the front and back side panels and floor panel from the ski locker, and disconnected all the hoses and wiring. I was able to get the tank slid back and half way up when I realized that I don't think it will fit thru the ski locker opening. I don't believe the back seat is removable at all to get it out that way.

Kinda sumped on how the get it out.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    02 Moomba Outback

Is yours carburated? If so, you can flush the tank by pumping gas through the fuel pump into a gas can. Jumper the fuel pump. I do it every de-winterization I leave very little gas in the tank in the winter and pump it into a gas can in the spring. The gas does look nasty even with the ethanol free gas. Change the gas filter when you are done.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Thanks for the info.

I unfortunately had to learn the hard way that the tank on an '02 doesn't come out without taking the whole top cap of the boat off. Got the tank back in and will flush the tank as you suggested.

I've had two carb kits installed in less than a year and just wanted to make sure the tank was clean before i ran it again. Seasons too short up here to be fixing the boat all summer.

Thanks again.

Doc
    02 Moomba Outback

You could also use a oil pump syphon (nondrill) and go thru the fuel gauge sendor hole and syphon out the tank than run it thru the pump...
    2017 Moomba Craz
    400 Indmar Rapter 6.2L
    "X-ceeding Limits"

2004 Supra 22 Launch SSV-crushed by a massive oak tree. RIP 4/1/2023
    325 Indmar Assault 320 HP
    "One more hour"