Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ECM Fuel Injector Issue??

I have a 2004 Outback with 5.7 Indmar. It has what looks like a normal carburetor with two electronic fuel injectors on top. (TBI?). When I turn the key on the injectors energize and spray full flow into the carb. Is this caused by a bad ECM?

Normally when you turn on a TBI it should pulse a spray pattern to allow start up, not continually spray.

Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnsLJeboslk

It shows how an injector is failing to close properly.

If the boat is running normal and your only seeing this problem at start or idle, then I would start with a injector cleaner in a tank of fuel. Run that through the boat, see if it cleans up the injectors. Other wise you might need to replace the injectors.

I would not blame the ECM till you have more problems running.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

The boat won't even crank because it floods itself out due to excessive fuel. I can turn the key on, it dumps fuel into the carb, then I can pull the electrical connetions off of the injectors and it will crank enough to burn the fuel that was dumped in the carb.

OK.

Is it a consistent spray pattern? Or is it just pouring Gas in the intake?

You have to determine if the injector is getting a steady signal to spray as if the throttle is wide open or it its just stuck open.

You can watch this to get an idea how to use a Noid Light to test the injectors.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JackfakHH8E

Noid Lights
    http://www.harborfreight.com/11-piec...set-97959.html

Sounds like it can still be a few problem sources. I would Google TBI TSS, TBI Injector Stuck spraying, TBI Injector won't close

IT gives you lots of things to inspect and look at.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Yes it is a nice spray pattern coming out of the injectors like full throttle, engine not running just the key in the on position. Injectors are spraying good patterns, I have looked a that on youtube. It is just they are spraying like wide open all the time. I will get the noid ligts and see what that tells me.

Thanks!

Default ECM Fuel Injector Issue??

I had the same problem. They tried to say the drivers for the injectors was messed up and I needed a new ECM. They ordered it and put it in the boat and no difference. I told them I was not paying for it if it did not fix the problem and they said no problem. They then replaced the piece on the side of the throttle body that has something to do with the air to fuel. Can't remember what it is called but I will take a pic of it tomorrow for you. My boat is a 2003 supra with the 325 assault tbi so it should be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 98outback View Post
    I had the same problem. They tried to say the drivers for the injectors was messed up and I needed a new ECM. They ordered it and put it in the boat and no difference. I told them I was not paying for it if it did not fix the problem and they said no problem. They then replaced the piece on the side of the throttle body that has something to do with the air to fuel. Can't remember what it is called but I will take a pic of it tomorrow for you. My boat is a 2003 supra with the 325 assault tbi so it should be the same.
    Possibly the TPI Throttle Position Indicator, this would make the engine think its WOT and would fire the injectors full pulse. I didn't want to say it because I wasn't sure if it was part of the start up pulse. Normally when a engine is off and you open the throttle WO it won't pulse the injectors.

Worth looking into how to Test it online and test it. It costs about the same as the Noid Lights.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Perfect, thanks!

Had the same issue with my 88 S10 PU. Rebuilt the injector, replaced the TPI and some other sensors. Turned out to be my ECM. Agree you should elimate all injector posibilities before replacing the ECM.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

I got the noid lights and plugged into the injector plug. Turn the key to the on position and light comes on solid. Have not checked the throttle position indicator or TPI yet. I'm getting a sinking feeling ECM is trashed.