Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

but where do I put why wet life jackets, my ski pylon is go for 3 before I start having to put them on the seats.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

The 2014 SC version looks very similar to the Malibu version. I had a buddy who started a little machine shop few years ago and we were drafting plans to make one that would retrofit into my boat and hopefully others. I'm not sure if my mounting setup is the same as newer models though. That was the tricky part - there's no easy access to it inside that metal frame and mine has two through bolts that would conflict with the sliding portion. We felt that having the slide too short would result in being too weak and snapping or bending under a heavy load.

At any rate, this project got put off over and over as he was trying to make a go of it but eventually his company closed down and the idea just stayed an idea.

So instead, I took it to another machine shop last year and had them cut it down on a lathe. They matched the lines of the existing head. I was nervous about it being too short and unusable but it's really just about right. You could still accidentally sit on it and get a surprise, but when you freak out and flop off to the side you don't fall very far anymore. And now it seems like if you do hit it with a foot, you're more likely to step on it vs. stubbing a tow.

Most people now don't even notice it but a few guys have seen it and kind of do a double take, like something's different with that but I'm not quite sure what.

I'd still be interested in doing a popup style but will live with this until a better option presents itself.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Resurrecting because I fully intend to make a change here. The XLV pole will not survive tomorrow...
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

So after spending a few hours contemplating & administering the KISS method, we have a solution. A $5.64 solution that takes about 1 hour.
    Parts required:
    1 foot of 2" PVC
    1 PVC cap 2"
    2 SS 1/4-20 x 3/4" screws
    2 SS 1/4-20 nylon locking nuts

I removed the pylon and took all the measurements of the opening. Also noticed there was no reason for the engine hatch catch to be so adjustable since the rotating lever has height adjustment as well. That solves the latch adjustment issue.

Next, I have to believe that 6 1/2" inches of depth on the pylon is probably sufficient, but let's keep one holding bolt as an option. (not the bottom one!)

So, progress in pictures:

Last edited by BrentC5Z; 05-16-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold

The rear cushion keeps enough tension on the lightweight PVC to prevent it from bouncing out. Obviously, you could add weight to it internally or drill and tap the PVC pipe for the holding bolt. Just more work to swap out IMO.

You can keep the pylon stored in the boat. Takes about 30 seconds to swap out. Just thread the holding bolt by hand or perhaps with an adjustable wrench you might keep for the bail plug also.
    Last edited by BrentC5Z; 05-16-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold