Default Flotation saturation

I have a 2007 outback, and noticed that the wake had become much larger and not symmetrical. Suspected that the boat was carrying too much weight and discovered that the forward flotation chambers of the boat are totally saturated, holding tremendous weight. I found this by drilling a core sample. Plan to cut a hole (15" x 15") in floor to remove the flotation from each chamber, dry it out, put new flotation in and seal it up with new fiberglass.

Wondering if there is anyone out there who has had similar experience, or advice to my plan? Have no idea where the leak is as this should be a watertight chamber, but need to solve it if I want to ski! I noticed in an older thread that people were talking about a similar problem related to the ski locker, and the thought was that there could be a design flaw in the bow. Any advice or shared experience would be great!

I think the theory is that the flotation foam completely fills/seals against the hull bottom and sides. The reality is that it pulls away enough to allow some water in there. The water can come from anywhere really; anything on the deck or in the bilge could find it's way there.

I don't think that you need to completely remove the foam and reinstall. I would find a suitable spot (above a low point in hull) to cut in a small 4"deck plate, remove 4" of foam so that you can get to the hull, then occasionally use a vacuum to remove the water.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

On the Iboats forum there are a lot of restoration threads that talk alot about flotation foam.
    1991 Cobia Monte Carlo 188E (Sold)
    2014 Moomba Mojo (Sold)
    Next ??

jay dub,
    I am going through a similar problem with my 02 outback. After months of chasing the listing problem by trying to fix the brass under the boat, I have discovered a huge crack along the floor, which no doubt lets lots of water in. I am wondering about where to drill as well. I don't really want to go through two layers of fibreglass in the center front to get to the low point. I'm not sure if your boat is the same, but the walkway includes a floor as part of the hull cap, and the floor of the boat. I think I might go in from under the front seat and hollow out the foam on an angle to the low point in the hull. I'm just not sure if vacuuming the water out is enough to dry it out....
    What have you done so far?
    Last edited by Crittr; 07-08-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    2002 Outback

jaydub,
    The moomba rep I've been emailing, John Buescher, told me I could drill a 1/2 inch hole in the stringer where it meets the transom and crank the front of the boat up as high as possible, the trapped water would then weep out of the hole. I'm not sure if your boat is built the same as my 02, but if it is, that seems better than drilling a four inch hole in the floor somewhere.
    2002 Outback

Hey jay dub,
    Sorry for butting into your thread. From all the research I've done the only way to dry out the saturated flotation is to open up the floor and dry it out, or replace it. Vacuuming it out or trying to drain it will only get the standing water.
    My whole right side is saturated and it's causing listing, but I'm going to live with it for the rest of the season I guess, then rip out the floor over the winter....Good times.
    2002 Outback

For your reading enjoyment!
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ght=water+hull

This is a known issue with alot of Moomba boats. I have same issue, I called SC and they told me to drill a 5" hole one foot from the rear of the ski locker(this is the lowest point of the hull) and remove the foam and install a deck plate to allow you to vac out the water. I also bought a rubber stopper @ Lowe's and pluged the drain hole in the rear of the ski locker and that seemed to greatly reduce the ammount of water I get in the hull.

I am trying to figure out a way to connect a pump that I just flip a switch and it pumps out without me draging the shopvac everytime.
    Last edited by Gabbyg88; 07-10-2014 at 01:48 PM.
    2007 Moomba Outback V