Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rev 8'S Amp Question

Hi guys, I ordered a pair of Rev 8's and I'm wondering what I should do on the amp. I have an older KX500.2 that is running my current pair of tower speakers but I don't think at 4ohms it will be enough for the Revs? The other amp I have that is currently sitting is an Alpine V12 that can run rms 450/2 at 4 ohms . I didn't look closely but I thought the revs can handle 200 rms @ 4 ohms, or is it 300 rms Max? At any rate is the Alpine v12 going to be too much power for the Revs? Should I scrap both of these and just get a SYN 2? I don't plan on adding any more speakers as the two revs seemed to be plenty for my application. I would rather use the v12 if possible so there is no more outlying of cash but I thought I read somewhere that you can in fact overload speakers as well as underpower them? Any help would be most appreciated.

C
    08' Mobius LS, Black Betty, Powder Coated Black Racks, Black Mirror Mount, Black Speakers, Transom Shield, Homemade Black Vinyl Wind Damn, Soon to be black powder coated Z5

125W rms to a Rev-8 will certainly leave a lot of performance on the table. 450W rms at face value is WAY too much IMO. I have no carnal knowledge of that amp, so I cant really recommend it.

For a single pair, I would suggest the Wet Sounds HT-4, the Syn-2, Arc Audio XDi804 or DXi450.4 or XDi600.4 or KS300.2, Kicker ZXM400.4 or IX500.4 just name some I have used.

The JL Audio XD400/4 bridged on two Rev8s or the XD800/8 bridged on two pair of Rev8s are combinations that I have heard that also sound fantastic. At a 14.4 V supply you would get an actual tested power of 280 watts to each Rev8 and maintain 200 watts to each Rev8 even with a low 12.6 V supply. More importantly these amplifiers maintain 97% of their 1kHz rated power even across the entire audio bandwidth....something that many competing amplifiers can't come close to stating.
    Before you discount the Alpine V-12 amplifier that you own please check those specs again. That doesn't sound correct to me.

Thanks guys for the replies. I got the amp from a guy locally off craigslist, he wrecked his car and needed money to fix it. I don't know exactly what all these numbers mean? LOL Anyways it's the alpine mrv-1507. Would this amp work?

http://www.audio.0.8m.com/alpineamps.htm

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    The JL Audio XD400/4 bridged on two Rev8s or the XD800/8 bridged on two pair of Rev8s are combinations that I have heard that also sound fantastic. At a 14.4 V supply you would get an actual tested power of 280 watts to each Rev8 and maintain 200 watts to each Rev8 even with a low 12.6 V supply. More importantly these amplifiers maintain 97% of their 1kHz rated power even across the entire audio bandwidth....something that many competing amplifiers can't come close to stating.
    Before you discount the Alpine V-12 amplifier that you own please check those specs again. That doesn't sound correct to me.
    08' Mobius LS, Black Betty, Powder Coated Black Racks, Black Mirror Mount, Black Speakers, Transom Shield, Homemade Black Vinyl Wind Damn, Soon to be black powder coated Z5

Ok, here the skinny on that amp.

RMS Continuous Power (Watt) (at 12.0V 20-20kHz): 4 Ohm Stereo (0.08% THD) 150W x 2; 2 Ohm Stereo (0.3% THD) 300W x 2; Bridged 4 Ohm (0.3% THD) 600W x 1
    RMS Continuous Power (Watt) (at 14.4V 20-20kHz): 4 Ohm Stereo (0.08% THD) 225W x 2; 2 Ohm Stereo (0.3% THD) 450W x 2; Bridged 4 Ohm (0.3% THD) 900W x 1

That 450 is the amp's peak output per chnl and will never be achieved, so ignore it.

For a pair of 4 ohm rev's, it would deliver an RMS (continuous) wattage of 225W @ 14,4V (engine running) and 150W @ 12.5V (engine off). I would not hesitate to go with that amp, since you already have it. If budget permits, there are certainly more efficient amps, but power wise, I think you are good to go.

That series of Alpine V-12 amplifiers are REALLY clean and quiet. You're golden.

Thanx guys, good to know I don't have to shell out anymore right away. Ya'll know what b.o.a.t. stands for right?
    Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

Default Rev 8'S Amp Question

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrofoiljunky View Post
    Thanx guys, good to know I don't have to shell out anymore right away. Ya'll know what b.o.a.t. stands for right?
    Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand
    Better believe it!
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Can't you just adjust the gain until you hear some distortion, then back it off a little? The Rev8 is 200w rms & 400W max ea speaker I believe. They will take all of the 200w I'm told. I have an HT2 (165wx2) running ea set of mine and they really put out the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by valleywine View Post
    Can't you just adjust the gain until you hear some distortion, then back it off a little? The Rev8 is 200w rms & 400W max ea speaker I believe. They will take all of the 200w I'm told. I have an HT2 (165wx2) running ea set of mine and they really put out the sound.
    Certainly, in the simplest sense that is true. In order to have the lowest noise floor and simultaneously reach the maximum dynamic potential every component in the signal path (HU, EQ, amplifiers) must reach that same point in unity.