Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jamestown Ky, Lake Cumberland/Dale Hollow

Default How much difference will a (ZLD or WS-420) make?

Trying to figure out the best way to get my stereo in tune to where I dont get mechanical slap on some songs ? I listen to a variety of music and it seems like im constantly having to change settings for every other song. Im wondering if one of these Line Drivers will help my problem since I dont see anyone else posting about this issue and thats the only thing I seem to be missing from my system. Im getting most of my slap from the sub but it seems my towers have to be adjusted every once in a while to. Thanks for the info in advance!
    1995 Moomba Boomerang-SOLD
    2008 Moomba Outback DD- SOLD
    2014 Moomba Mondo-SOLD
    2016 Moomba Craz

First let me ask, what is it specifically, that you are contently adjusting? Im not sure I understand what is is your are experiencing, but its sounds like you are describing over excursion of the sub and possibly the tower speakers. That would more then likely begin with proper amp tuning, thus a line driver and/or EQ would not fix.

Need to understand a little clearer, what it is that you are experiencing. What are the specifics on the sub, its amp and settings, and enclosure? A line driver and EQ can enhance a systems performance, it can not fix a poor tune or poor enclosure/sub setup.

The sub controller is constantly having to be adjusted. Got a memphis 12 and a 500.1 PR amp. The enclosure is sealed under the helm sub is facing the driver. I can turn down the bass on the towers and get them to stop poping at the initial hit of the bass. But if I go to a rock song .. the bass dont really sounds even with the rest of the system unless I crank the bass controller on the sub. But, If i turn a rap song on I have to turn the sub way down. I think your right about the sub excursion. I run off of a Ipod plugged into the head unit. I have 2 XM9s on the tower powered by a 800.4 exile. 6 Exile in boat 6.5s powered by a 800.4 exile amp and then the sub I told you about. Ofcourse this only happens when I cranking it for surfing and partying.
    2014 Moomba Mondo-SOLD
    2016 Moomba Craz

JW - to answer your question. A pre amp EQ controller like the ZLD or 420 or the host of other brands will help a lot with your stereo setup.. But not for the reasons your thinking about. Let me lay it out for you in 1-2-3

1st: A stereo is the sum of 3 zones of operation - CABIN / TOWER / SUB. When those zones work together they create dynamic range. That dynamic range is the wow factor. If one of those is missing (say we don't have a sub installed), then the sound field becomes lopsided in a bad way. In your boat, it sounds like you have all three zones setup. And thats a good thing. Good on you!

2nd: Once we have all zones installed, we need to optimize the gear in each zone. I think this is currently where you are in the mix. What I mean is, Your tower zone needs to be gained and crossed over at 80hz for those XM9's. The cabin zone needs to be gained and crossover at 110hz, and the sub needs to be gained and setup specific for the ported/sealed+exact model sub. From what you posted, its clear to me that your gear is not gained properly nor crossover right.

3rd: At last, we are to the question you asked... If you have all the zones setup, installed, and properly tuned, the preamp EQ will really help you out in a few different ways. You'll have finger tip control right at the helm for master volume, sub, cabin, tower levels. You'll have the ability to shape the acoustic signature of your stereo with built in eq. And you'll have a built in line driver to feed your amplifiers more voltage --- this lets us turn your amp gains down. You'll also have the ability to connect your iPod directly into the preamp and bypass the deck (which helps overall sound quality).

In summary: Yes a preamp EQ is a great thing. But your not there yet. For you my friend, since you have a Exile stereo - please check your PM and retrieve my cell phone number and contact me directly and I will walk you thru setting up your levels and gains crossovers on all your exile gear. The after sale support is the entire reason we monitor the forums. Give me a ring, I'll solve your slaps and you can get back to cranking up the tunes. Maybe you can report back to the group on what you learned.

Cheers.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jwredmon101 View Post
    The sub controller is constantly having to be adjusted. Got a memphis 12 and a 500.1 PR amp. The enclosure is sealed under the helm sub is facing the driver. I can turn down the bass on the towers and get them to stop poping at the initial hit of the bass. But if I go to a rock song .. the bass dont really sounds even with the rest of the system unless I crank the bass controller on the sub. But, If i turn a rap song on I have to turn the sub way down. I think your right about the sub excursion. I run off of a Ipod plugged into the head unit. I have 2 XM9s on the tower powered by a 800.4 exile. 6 Exile in boat 6.5s powered by a 800.4 exile amp and then the sub I told you about. Ofcourse this only happens when I cranking it for surfing and partying.
    A couple of things I see that could be an issue. One is being the sound quality differences from one compressed song file to the next. This This can easily result in the constant up/down of the volume and sub level.

Next, is that a sub level as is sub volume dial, or is it by chance an adjustable remote bass-boost dial? I am not familiar with that amp and have not looked into it. Huge difference between sub volume and remote boost level or boost frequency adjustment.

3rd, A sealed enclosure is typically forgiving in terms of over driving the woofer as compared to a ported. Once you revisit the gain, cross-over and especially the bass-boost settings on the amp, I would make sure the box has not gotten water logged and soft. This will kill the performance of a woofer and can eventually lead to woofer failure.

Its a remote bass boost,and the amp is a Memphis 500.1 prx amp. the box is new and just got installed about 4 days ago. so water should not be a issue it might be the Ipod as well as the gains and crossovers. I use spotify on the Ipod. Maybe that is a factor as well.
    2014 Moomba Mondo-SOLD
    2016 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    JW - to answer your question. A pre amp EQ controller like the ZLD or 420 or the host of other brands will help a lot with your stereo setup.. But not for the reasons your thinking about. Let me lay it out for you in 1-2-3

1st: A stereo is the sum of 3 zones of operation - CABIN / TOWER / SUB. When those zones work together they create dynamic range. That dynamic range is the wow factor. If one of those is missing (say we don't have a sub installed), then the sound field becomes lopsided in a bad way. In your boat, it sounds like you have all three zones setup. And thats a good thing. Good on you!

2nd: Once we have all zones installed, we need to optimize the gear in each zone. I think this is currently where you are in the mix. What I mean is, Your tower zone needs to be gained and crossed over at 80hz for those XM9's. The cabin zone needs to be gained and crossover at 110hz, and the sub needs to be gained and setup specific for the ported/sealed+exact model sub. From what you posted, its clear to me that your gear is not gained properly nor crossover right.

3rd: At last, we are to the question you asked... If you have all the zones setup, installed, and properly tuned, the preamp EQ will really help you out in a few different ways. You'll have finger tip control right at the helm for master volume, sub, cabin, tower levels. You'll have the ability to shape the acoustic signature of your stereo with built in eq. And you'll have a built in line driver to feed your amplifiers more voltage --- this lets us turn your amp gains down. You'll also have the ability to connect your iPod directly into the preamp and bypass the deck (which helps overall sound quality).

In summary: Yes a preamp EQ is a great thing. But your not there yet. For you my friend, since you have a Exile stereo - please check your PM and retrieve my cell phone number and contact me directly and I will walk you thru setting up your levels and gains crossovers on all your exile gear. The after sale support is the entire reason we monitor the forums. Give me a ring, I'll solve your slaps and you can get back to cranking up the tunes. Maybe you can report back to the group on what you learned.

Cheers.

-Brian
    This was one of the best explanations/summaries I have read on boat audio systems. I really enjoyed reading it. I think you could easily make a boat audio system 101 post leveraged off this and post it as a sticky.

Well done.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jwredmon101 View Post
    Its a remote bass boost,and the amp is a Memphis 500.1 prx amp. the box is new and just got installed about 4 days ago. so water should not be a issue it might be the Ipod as well as the gains and crossovers. I use spotify on the Ipod. Maybe that is a factor as well.
    Ok, that explains alot, now we are getting some where. If it is indeed a remote bass-boost dial, then it is by no means a sub volume level control, which would explain a part of the issue you are having. Let me did into that sub amp a little and see.

Was it a custom enclosure built for that woofer or is it a generic off the shelf enclosure? Need to really know the enclosure's internal volume. It needs to be at least in the range of the woofer's recommended net volume. Cant tune away a mismatch, no matter how hard you try.

Lets get the woofer worked out, then you can focus on the in-boats tuning.

Looking at the current Memphis 16PRX1.500 amp, indicates that that is indeed a remote sub level volume control.

So, once we have an idea of the enclosure specs, we can offer some tuning tips for that amp.

its suppose to be a custom enclosure built just for my application.. its a memphis PR 12. I cant see behind the kick board but, thats what I paid for. Maybe I need to do alittle investigation.
    2014 Moomba Mondo-SOLD
    2016 Moomba Craz