Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prop/Shaft Damage?

During out last outing a buddy of mine ran over my rope. It is wrapped tightly around the shaft behind the propeller. I had the boat towed in because I was unable to get it off while in the water. I dove for an hour..in 42 degree water...and had to give up..

I have not taken the propeller off yet...hopefully tonight. I do not have a puller (I noticed Ben624's post) hopefully this can be done without one. When I get it off, should I look for anything else? Has this happened to anyone here? Was there other damage done?

Thank you!

Nate

Default Replying to Topic 'Prop/Shaft Damage?'

Wait until you run over your first spectra line!!
    '
    Oh what a feeling!!

Dont sweat it, comes with the territory... happens to us all sooner or later
    2005 Moomba Outback

Originally posted by Smrtz
    Wait until you run over your first spectra line!!
    '
    Oh what a feeling!!

Dont sweat it, comes with the territory... happens to us all sooner or later
    Its hard enough explaining to a wife why you need a $100 tow rope when "walmart has them for $19"

Ditto on the sharp knife.

We tried using a knife. The rope I ran over is the Accurate 80 ft A-Line. It has that Urethane Cable coating over the line. Makes it pretty durable. The rope is already trashed....maybe I will get a razor blade and go after it tonight. Might be a little easier now that it is on the trailer.

Wolf - I just went through that.. With shipping - the new one came to about 130. She didnt understand....but - I explained to her that it's like shoes. You can't get the cheap ones!

Originally posted by nboard10
    Wolf - I just went through that.. With shipping - the new one came to about 130. She didnt understand....but - I explained to her that it's like shoes. You can't get the cheap ones!
    Hahahahah. Shoes....

Yep my wife didnt understand either.. My first really good rope was an 80 ft hardline cost the wife 150.00 She thought that was pretty dumb. Man did I feel bad when the 3rd time out I had to tell her that I had to go get a new one.

Of course one of my buddies took the blame for it...Way to take one for the team!!

If you have trouble with the knife a pair of wire cutting pliers works really well
    2005 Moomba Outback

It has happened to me twice. Once my fault and second there was about 15ft of rope under the water. I was pulling my son and all sudden the boat just stopped under thottle. Well it turns out the rope caught around the shaft and prop.

No damage but a little diving took care of it. I learned a diving mask, knive and 10 ft of plastic tubbing make the job much easier.

I don't think I could have cut it off in that much water.

what was the plastic tubing for??
    2005 Moomba Outback

smartz, a make shift snorkle. that way you don't have to keep going under and then back up for a breath. saves you a lot of time.

qb12,

I like the tube idea.....that would have been great. Every time I dove under the boat and was able to unravel the rope once - I had to come back up for air. A mask would have been very helpfull also.
    Being that the water was only 42 degrees....it may not have made that much of a difference.

Once is enough...I hope it doesnt happen again. I will probably have to buy her something nice next time.....LOL