Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 08 lsv hard to start!

I have a new to me 08 lsv with the assault 325 engine with right at 300hrs on it. I am having trouble starting the engine, sometimes it takes me 5-10 minutes to get it started and it doesnt seem to matter if its warm or not! And to beat it all you may just bump the key and it fire right up!! Here's how i start it, I turn the key on let the pump prime if nothing i do it a couple of times if that still doesnt work i pump the throttle a few times and sometimes that works sometimes not so im not seeing a pattern.. I have contacted the previous owner and he told me it always started good until last summer it started this and he replaced the fuel pump and it didnt do it anymore to him which i believe because when i test drove it i started it 3-4 times and it was fine.. Now I do have a friend with a 07 supra launch ssv and he has told me that the fuel filter would get hot on his and evaporate the fuel leaving it hydrolocked so he would sometimes run the blower the whole time he was stopped or pour a little water on the filter and it would fire right up? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I never experienced this with my 05 lsv so it's all new to me..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 23scuba View Post
    I have a new to me 08 lsv with the assault 325 engine with right at 300hrs on it. I am having trouble starting the engine, sometimes it takes me 5-10 minutes to get it started and it doesnt seem to matter if its warm or not! And to beat it all you may just bump the key and it fire right up!! Here's how i start it, I turn the key on let the pump prime if nothing i do it a couple of times if that still doesnt work i pump the throttle a few times and sometimes that works sometimes not so im not seeing a pattern.. I have contacted the previous owner and he told me it always started good until last summer it started this and he replaced the fuel pump and it didnt do it anymore to him which i believe because when i test drove it i started it 3-4 times and it was fine.. Now I do have a friend with a 07 supra launch ssv and he has told me that the fuel filter would get hot on his and evaporate the fuel leaving it hydrolocked so he would sometimes run the blower the whole time he was stopped or pour a little water on the filter and it would fire right up? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I never experienced this with my 05 lsv so it's all new to me..

Thanks
    Very possible you have vapor lock.

First I would start with replacing the fuel filter, then do you have more problem starting it the start of your day or when you been out on the water.
    When you launch it does it always start right up and get worse through out the day?

Also Pumping the throttle does nothing for a fuel injected engine. The throttle is only opening and closing the air intake plate. The fuel is completely computer controlled
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

It doesnt really change throughout the day its always hit or miss when starting it never really fires right up when launching ive probably had it out 10 times and it has started right up maybe 3 times. When switching riders i shut the engine off and run the blower and it doesnt seem to fix the problem..

I was just trying the throttle to see what happens because ive seen stranger things happen... As i'm always working all my other hobbies!!! I did notice over the weekend i got it to start by giving it a little throttle but this did not work everytime..

mmandley do you think my problem is the fuel filter itself or the actual placement of the filter causing it to get so hot it vaporizes the fuel?

Thank you

I was also reading this under starting procedures in the owners manual.. This was if the engine gets flooded but i tried it anyway..

2. With the transmission disengaged push
    the lever forward to full throttle position. (This will
    cause the computer to shut off the fuel injectors
    which will allow the engine to clear of excess
    fuel during starting).
    3. Turn the Ignition Key to Start Position and operate
    the starter for no more than 15 seconds at a time
    until the engine starts.
    4. When the engine starts, back off the throttle and
    allow the engine to establish a good idle (30 to 60
    seconds).
    5. Return the throttle to idle position and
    the transmission lockout will automatically reengage
    the transmission in neutral position.
    6. When ready to get underway, shift slowly into
    forward or reverse, allowing the transmission time

Not sure if you can really find a good place for the filter, entire engine area is hot.

You might check and clean the plugs as well. Maybe they are fouled out from the issues you have been having.

I wasn't saying moving the throttle won't really help, if I was in your position i would try it too, at that point you will try about anything to make it start.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I don't think you have a vapor lock problem (or at least initially), seeing as the boat won't start from the get go (start of the day). Vapor lock presents itself after you have been running hot for a while and then shut the motor down and give it some time for the heat to seep through the block and into the fuel lines. On my 08 lsv, I get vapor lock on occasion, but only with the above mentioned circumstances and the issue is at the fuel pump, not fuel filter. I pour water on the fuel pump to cool it down and it fires right up.
    It won't hurt to replace the fuel filter as a check, but I suspect another issue. Do you hear the pump priming everytime you switch it on?
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Yeah I know I can't see a better place for it either!

I haven't checked the plugs yet but that's a good thought.. I did notice it idleing rough yesterday so that could be a problem..

I know I am at that point of trying anything because I hate getting ready to go or getting dropped in drifting toward the bank trying to get out of everybody else's way!!

Thanks again!

So even if it did vapor lock after being shut off it would not be vapor locked after it cooled? ( I don't know the correct term for it)

Yes I do hear the pump priming each time I switch it on.

I am all new to working on these and will have to try the fuel pump.. Is it located in the engine compartment then?

Quote Originally Posted by 23scuba View Post
    So even if it did vapor lock after being shut off it would not be vapor locked after it cooled? ( I don't know the correct term for it)

Yes I do hear the pump priming each time I switch it on.

I am all new to working on these and will have to try the fuel pump.. Is it located in the engine compartment then?
    Correct, Vapor lock is basically, the fuel turns to vapor from a liquid, pumps can't pump Vapor so the engine never gets fuel.

I agree with highrider, if you have this issue right at the start of your day then its not vapor lock at that point. Vapor lock tend to happen after your boating and you shut the engine off for some reason.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

As Mike says, vapor lock is the fuel turning when hot, so when the motor is cooled, the fuel is back to its normal state and would not present an issue. Also, vapor lock would typically not present itself if you turn the boat off to pick up a rider and them start it back up within a short period of time (at least in my experience). It takes a bit of time for that heat to make its way to the fuel pump and heat it up enough to produce the vapor. Remember that the fuel itself is cool in the tank and keeps the pump cool as it is pumped through the pump on its way to the motor. The heat issue comes into play when the fuel is not passing through the pump and heat seeps in via the metal to metal contact to the block. This is why the newer boats have the fuel pump mounted in the fuel tank and kept cool by the fuel it is bathed in.
    Last edited by moombahighrider; 05-26-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro