Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transducer Mounting In-Hull

Can someone tell me what type of glue you use to mount the in-hull transducers. I have gotten two very passionate answers about this from the two people I asked. One answer was to use the normal 5200 through-hull glue that you use for ballast fitting and below water line stuff and the other answer was absolutely not to use that. I was told to make a ring out of RV silicone and fill it with a 2 part clear epoxy. I was told that the 5200 would block the transducer.

Can someone please let me know I am about to mount this thing and need a clear answer. Thanks in advance

I used epoxy. Works just fine for me...
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
    I used epoxy. Works just fine for me...
    So you used the 2 part epoxy (5 minute) stuff VS using the 5200?

Quote Originally Posted by chadjitsu1 View Post
    So you used the 2 part epoxy (5 minute) stuff VS using the 5200?
    2 part epoxy. I do not recall the type (set time).

Ok I now have more questions. Can someone please send me a picture of where their transducer is mounted. It looks like the spot I want to mount it will hit on the fin on the bottom of the boat in the middle. I was thinking about mounting it between the gas tank and the V-drive but it looks like the fins swoop back so I am thinking that the transducer will pick up the fin.

If someone has further advice I would appreciate it. There is also a flat spot up further in the center of the boat between two of the fins, Is that the spot where the factory mounts it or is that the spot for the center drain plug, I dont have a middle drain only the one on the transom of the boat.

I really wanted to get this all done this weekend so any help and maybe a picture or link would be really appreciated

Use silicone and test it. It may be a permanent solution like it was in my older boat.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I used clear silicon caulk and it has worked great so far. I went this route to allow myself to move it if necessary with out a lot removal work.
    Rusty

2013 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
    2 part epoxy. I do not recall the type (set time).
    Do you have a picture? Thanks.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Do you have a picture? Thanks.
    I'll pull the cover and get a pic for you.

I glued mine in, I actually did a google search for where to mount it and it ended up bringing me back to the moomba website, imagine that. I mounted it between the speed paddle wheel and the center of the boat. I was really cautious about putting it there because the hull appears to be around a 5-7 degree pitch. So I did the math and realized that a 5 degree offset would be very small even at 100 foot deep water. I am really only concerned at like under 10 foot of water so the difference is only inches. I wanted to get it mounted so I glued it in there. It actually took me longer to find the formula then it did to actually hook it up and run the wires.

I do have one question though, I assume you need to be in the water for this thing to work right? I have the boat on the trailer and I powered it up and there are just lines on the display. Can someone just confirm that it wont read anything unless i have the boat in the water