Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default '13 Mojo Wakesurfing Setup/Help/Tips

Alright, I'm asking for some help here dialing in my wave. I've got a '13 Mojo, without the flow. I must start by saying that I'm a total newby to surfing and I'm riding a Hyperlite Broadcast (longest model).

My first time out a this year, just a couple weeks back, we ran with the stock ballast and didn't have much luck... especially on the goofy side. Regular side looked ok but the wave was small.

Since then, I placed an order with Wakemakers... I've added an IBS (~650#) and I've upgraded the rears to 900# Sumos.

Tonight was only my second time out, it was just my wife, son and I in the boat and we only tried the goofy side... since that's my side. I filled the center tank, IBS and surf side sumo bag completely and left the non surf side empty. We toyed with speed, running 10.5 ~ 11.5 and adjusted the wakeplate up down and in the middle. We really couldn't get the wave very big and it didn't really seem to want to clean up on the crest.

The best I seemed to get was actually around 11mph with the wakeplate all the way down.

image (1).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    image (6).jpg

I wasn't able to free ride but I rode around the lake for quite some time and was able to take slack out of the rope. I think maybe a few more people in the boat would help and I bet the regular side will be better (the rest of my crew is regular).

Any tips as to where I should be putting speed, wakeplate, etc?

Also, since the board felt like it was dragging a bit, should I remove the center fin or the two outer fins?

I'm already excited to get back out, looking like Friday. Water temp has jumped nearly 20 degrees in just a few weeks

Thanks!
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

I like the Broadcast best with the center fin removed. It's a little slicker and lets you slash a little more.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I like the Broadcast best with the center fin removed. It's a little slicker and lets you slash a little more.
    Thanks, I'll try that... Should help reduce the drag a bit. I didn't know whether going 1 fin or 2 fins would be better. I'll start by pulling the long center fin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Moomba Mojo

I have found with my Mojo 9.8 to 10 .3 speed provides the best wave. We don't surf goofy so I cant really help you there. On the regular side I have 1100 rear and a 370 tube sac plumbed in in front of it plus IBS. 750lbs in starboard rear half full. If its just me and my wife I'll fill 2 of the fat sac bricks. Aprox 150lbs each and stick them in the back corner. This setup provides a fantastic surf wave.
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

With my boat, to get the push i need, I have to use my trim up about a 1/4. This helps me be able to ride ropeless even with all the weight in the boat.
    B.J. Reed

2006 Moomba OBV

With the Mojo wake plate will depend on weight placement (people, ballast, ect) generally 1/4 to 1/2 Wave is much longer at 1/2.
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    Alright, I'm asking for some help here dialing in my wave. I've got a '13 Mojo, without the flow. I must start by saying that I'm a total newby to surfing and I'm riding a Hyperlite Broadcast (longest model).

My first time out a this year, just a couple weeks back, we ran with the stock ballast and didn't have much luck... especially on the goofy side. Regular side looked ok but the wave was small.

Since then, I placed an order with Wakemakers... I've added an IBS (~650#) and I've upgraded the rears to 900# Sumos.

Tonight was only my second time out, it was just my wife, son and I in the boat and we only tried the goofy side... since that's my side. I filled the center tank, IBS and surf side sumo bag completely and left the non surf side empty. We toyed with speed, running 10.5 ~ 11.5 and adjusted the wakeplate up down and in the middle. We really couldn't get the wave very big and it didn't really seem to want to clean up on the crest.

The best I seemed to get was actually around 11mph with the wakeplate all the way down.

image (1).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    image (6).jpg

I wasn't able to free ride but I rode around the lake for quite some time and was able to take slack out of the rope. I think maybe a few more people in the boat would help and I bet the regular side will be better (the rest of my crew is regular).

Any tips as to where I should be putting speed, wakeplate, etc?

Also, since the board felt like it was dragging a bit, should I remove the center fin or the two outer fins?

I'm already excited to get back out, looking like Friday. Water temp has jumped nearly 20 degrees in just a few weeks

Thanks!
    I can tell you right now your going to fast, IDK what your speed control says, you should start out with your RPM at 2900 and vary it up to 3100 to start your wave. Then once in the wave you can decide if the boat needs to go faster or slower.

Boat needs to go faster if your always on your back foot, Boat needs to go slower if your front foot heavy. You will find that sweet speed when you can easily feel your just standing on the board and it allows you to free rope it. < Skill is dependent >

Watch this clip I made last year on the goofy side of the boat.

We where running
    900 Star
    500 hard tank
    650 Bow sac

Pretty much exactly what you should be running.

Also you will need the wake plate 50-100% up.

I can tell my your pictures the boat isn't leaning to much to the goofy, its really flat looking, the Goofy wave is the absolute most UNFORGIVING on the Mojo.

You will be able to pull a good clean wave on the regular side with no issues at all.

People placement always, and I can't stress this enough ALWAYS needs to be on the goofy side. You can actually have someone sit on the goofy and walk to the Regular and you will see the wave change.

The prop spins counteracting the goofy side, it tries to flatten the boat out.

What you will see is the more goofy weight the better. You might look into 1 a 340 or a 400 bag since 400s are readily available on the forum and plum it to the 900, or get a remote pump to fill it when you want to surf.

I have found the best wave on goofy with 1500 Star, 500 center, 50 IBS and a 450 Sump in the bow on the goofy side, but thats if you want a huge wave.
    Last edited by mmandley; 05-22-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

So, it looks like I should back off a bit on speed... We were running about 11.2 in the pics I believe. I'll target 10 next time and play with the wakeplate.

I hate to lose any more storage so I'm going to hold off a bit on any more sacs. Also, I'll probably add the flow for next season so I'm sure that will help.

A little more practice and I'll get it. I may try riding switch too... Should help the wake boarding skills too.

2022 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    So, it looks like I should back off a bit on speed... We were running about 11.2 in the pics I believe. I'll target 10 next time and play with the wakeplate.

I hate to lose any more storage so I'm going to hold off a bit on any more sacs. Also, I'll probably add the flow for next season so I'm sure that will help.

A little more practice and I'll get it. I may try riding switch too... Should help the wake boarding skills too.

We run:
    -regular: 1100 port w/400 under seat, center tank full, Ibs &250lbs of lead in bow, 400-500 starboard rear. 10.4 & wp 1/2
    -goofy: 1100 starboard no 400 (only because we need some storage) center full, ibs & lead in bow. Little or no off side. 10.2ish wp at 1/2.

We don't surf much goofy so it's def not under the scrutiny that our reg wave is.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Well, thanks for the advice guys. Had two more adults and another kid on the boat last night. We stuffed them up in the bow and ran 10 ~ 10.2 with the wake plate up. I also took the center fin out.

I was able to free ride several times... Only made not about 100 yards each time but not bad for the third run.

2022 Moomba Mojo