Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Break-in ski boots ?

OK, I have not purchased new skis in a few years, but this is just strange. I decided that new boats need er... 'deserve' new skis. So I purchased a new Connelly Concept 2005 and a new Connelly FX 2003 (Overton's dent & ding ROCKS!), both with Stoker plate front boots and toe plate rears. The Concept is an Extra Large (XL), the FX a Large. My current ski has a custom boot w/ a large and my shoe size is inside the Large range, but putting these skis on was hell! The FX actually made my foot numb after only 20 min use. Both boots have the adjustsments open all the way. The concept is narrower ski and so is the boot, the XL actually looks smaller than the other L on the ski - they changed boot style in 2004 as well so each is different that way as well. I am using the same boot goop I have for a while (ivory and dove liquid soaps - low phosphate, but very slimy)

I guess my question is: Is there a break-in process like for new shoes ??? How can I stretch these bindings without damage ?

-Joe

Default Replying to Topic 'Break-in ski boots ?'

My wakeboard bindings are kinda tight. I use Simple Green for all the reasons Ed mentioned, and keep Carona bottles in them when not in use to help keep 'em stretched. Can't believe Ed didn't come up with that one first!

Brian

I've got an FX3 with double stokers and it loosened-up somewhat with time.

Take the bindings off the skis and either soak it in warm water or run warm water on them for a few minutes. Then use boot lube, or whatever you use to get your feet in, and put them on. Sit in a chair an watch a tv show or read a book for a while. Sometimes running very warm water in the bath tub while wearing them will help as well.

Soaking a tub of warm/hot water with some 20oz Coke bottles inserted into the binding will also help loosen them up.
    2006 Outback V

Thank-you one and all!

I did a little of all of these - I warmed them up with very warm water then pulled and tugged in all directions to slowly stretch each new piece of rubber. Then put in a couple of plastic bottles and let them sit. I switched foot pads so the larger boot had the flatter pad. When I put it on this weekend, I again tried to gently strecth them while getting ready. They were wonderful. I'm getting used to the ski as well. It is a bit too forgiving in some places for me but I just need to learn its curve and where it wants to be pushed more and where it wants to be babied.

A new reason to get out more!

-Joe

Hey Joe, good job. Last season I got a new O'Brien ski with high wrap bindings. The first time I put it on I thought I was going to have to cut the damn thing off. Took about 20 minutes of pain and cursing to get it off. I had to stuff the things with two softballs each for two weeks til I could stretch it out enough to use it again. Fits great now tho.

CarsonDoc,
    What Obrien did you get? I just got a new Obrien and the boots (XXL) were super tight. Did not think I would get it on. It also has double boots, first time for that. It took three tries to get up. That has not happened in years. I have an extra rear toe plate. Do not know whether to stay with the double boots or not. What do some of the rest of you all ski?

Father of 5,
    It is an '04 O'Brien Mapple with double Bios(sp?) boots. They are size large and supposed to be for size 9-11. Now, it fits fine but at the beginning, it was an absolute killer.

I swear by my double hi wrap boots. I ski a Connelly F3 Concept (another Overtons Factory Blemish, great deal) with the Stoker boots. In my old Connelly Shortline2 I had a rear toe plate, but I wasn't as confident. It felt like my foot would move around some. Now I don't even think about it and I can just lay it over in turns. I'll never go back to a toe plate. I have had more trouble getting up on this ski since it is a little bit smaller than my old one (and I am a little bit larger as well) but I have found that starting out slower and leaning back more helps out. I feel like I am drowning and I can't see where I am going, but I come out of the spray shortly and everything is great.