Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sailboat Capsize

The hot water shower on my LSV came in super handy yesterday afternoon. A family of four was on their sailboat on Smithville lake north of Kansas City, and it capsized on a bad turn. Two kids 3 and 5 years old and both parents were in the water under and beside boat. We were about 300 yards away surfing when my wife saw it happen. A pontoon got there the same time as us and we plucked the kids out and got hot water going as they were in jeans and sweatshirts soaked in 58° water. The pontoon scooped up the parents and tied off the sailboat so the mast didn't run aground. My surfer was in a wet suit so he jumped in and started grabbing their car keys and wallets. We were able to use the pontoon to flip the sailboat, and then we towed it in with the LSV. Family was OK, the 3 year old girl had a split ear, and a pretty good goose egg on her fore head. Fortunately we had first aid, hot water, dry towels and plenty of tow rope.

Good reminder to keep an eye out for fellow boaters, and always take plenty of tools, rope, first aid, and hot water showers if ya got 'em. Never thought that two weeks after that install I'd be using my shower to warm two purple kids up....

Wish I had thought to snap a few picks once we had the family settled down. Pretty odd sight to see a sailboat upside down.
    2007 LSV

So glad to hear you were there! Poor kids and parents for that matter! Well played sir. Well played.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Great job helping out!! That could have been a real bad situation had no one been around!!

Sent from my apple crushin android device
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Nice job. I've got a beer for you when I see you. Good work!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Well played! I was just thinking Saturday a hot water shower would be good to install. Was it easy? costly?
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Good thing you guys were there. Could have been a lot worse.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

Install was super easy and total was about $190. Newty's thread with my write up is here;

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....shower+install

Thanks guys.
    2007 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Beejwest View Post
    Install was super easy and total was about $190. Newty's thread with my write up is here;

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....shower+install

Thanks guys.
    Super, seeing I'm on water that gets really cold, this would be a good to have item.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Yeah, it's been amazing so far. We fill our wetsuits with hot water before and after skiing/surfing. Makes all the difference.
    2007 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    Well played! I was just thinking Saturday a hot water shower would be good to install. Was it easy? costly?
    sivs1, I just installed mine last year and it is really pretty easy. If you are in Park City, we are pretty close. I am in Salt Lake. You are more than welcome to come by and see how I did mine and I'm happy to give you a hand with the installation. We use our all the time, they are great.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190