Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bad gas smell and water in ski locker

Hi all, just got a 2002 mobius LSV... with a carb indmar 310. Love the boat but have two issues that i am trying to work out..

1. There is a real bad gas smell while the boat is running. Coming from the engine, and to be specific it seems to be stronger at the back of the boat (which would be the front of the engine) near the exhaust. within an hour of being in the boat, the three of us had headaches, if that helps you know that it's a real strong smell. Boat runs and starts perfect.

2. I am getting water in the ski locker. Not under the locker, like other posts discuss, but in it. Before heading out, i shop vac'd the water out so it was totally dry. I didnt use the ballast system while out, so i am not sure where else this water could be getting in? I would love to get this figured out, and am hoping someone else has been here before.

Other than that, the boat is sweet! Some people complain that moomba's cannot handle rough water very well, but i was more than pleased with it. Cant wait for the water to warm up!

I can help with number 2. At the back of the ski locker there is a hole that runs all the way to the stern, this is to help it drain. Issue I found was I get water coming forward into the locker and struggling to get back out. You'll see some posts on here where people have put a rubber plug in the hole as a stopper. I have yet to do this and was out Saturday and got some water from the bilge area into the ski locker. As far as number one, check your hose clamps coming out of the tank into the fuel filter and pump etc...
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Yeah... the water from the bilge in the locker is a common design flaw on that age moomba
    2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games
    Total Noob running 1100 in the center, 750s in the lockers.
    JL JX360/4 powering 6 Infinity 621m speakers

Plugging that hole should be easy enough, good advice. Seems like the locker is the lowest point in the boat, so that makes sense.....

Could be a small exhaust leak from the muffler or exhaust manifolds. That could cause water to come in too. When you smell it, are you idling while sitting still, or can you smell it running down the lake? Does your blower effectively remove the smell/fumes?
    2007 LSV

Oh, and for the water in the locker, plug the hole at the rear of the locker with one of these;
    http://t.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2...3400/100342630

I had to do a little grinding on mine to get it to fit, but once tightened with the wing nut, it expands and does a great job keeping nasty oily bilge water out from under my fat sac.
    2007 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Beejwest View Post
    Could be a small exhaust leak from the muffler or exhaust manifolds. That could cause water to come in too. When you smell it, are you idling while sitting still, or can you smell it running down the lake? Does your blower effectively remove the smell/fumes?
    I can smell it even while running down the lake, and the blower will not rid the fumes. In my old boat (same engine), there was a plug at the bottom of the exhaust baffle, to drain water when winterizing.. i am guessing there may be one on this one as well... but didnt look yet. maybe there is an issue around there
    2002 mobius LSV
    Lake Minnetonka, MN

Check to make sure the blower is actually blowing, not just humming, tubes haven't come loose, fallen off.

How about the fresh air intake tubes up under the dash and glovebox - are there hoses connected and leading down to the channels to vent the engine compartment?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

In an old I/O I had, the gasket on the fuel sending unit on top of the fuel tank had swelled. It would leak when the tank was filled then stop when the fuel level got to a certain point. Having a headache sounds more like exhaust but the tank is something to check.
    1991 Cobia Monte Carlo 188E (Sold)
    2014 Moomba Mojo (Sold)
    Next ??

Just be dang careful. Don't use the boat till you track it down. If you have a fuel leak you can have a fire in a hurry.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!