Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Potential buyer - how does a '97 Outback do as slalom boat

Hi,
    I am looking at buying my first real ski boat. I have come across a 1997 Outback that I am interested in purchasing. I would like to know how it is to ski behind this boat?

Just some quick frame of reference: The primary use would be for slalom and some barefooting. I am not a course skier but do pretty decent, I ski around 30-32 mph. I have skied behind true inboard ski boats before such as Malibu and Mastercraft's before but my main boat is a Glastron outboard.

I have read on Ball of Spray some polarizing reviews on skiing behind a Moomba and wanted some input from the group of expert owners on this forum.
    - Is the wake solid, rough, and big?
    - Does having more than one plus a driver in the boat increase the wake much?
    - Does the Outback track a straight line well (remember my context is a Glastron that i could pull all over the place when doing a cut).
    - Anything outside of skiing that I should look at or watch out with on this boat?

Thanks so much to all and anyone that is willing to help me out by sharing their great information.

I don't know about the older Outbacks meaning pre 2000. We used to own a 2006 Outback and it was a great boat for us as kid was little and always wanted to bring a friend along. We sold it when we moved but here's a couple things I can vouch for.
    Our boat tracked well but it was never used on a course.
    The wake was decent at 15 and 22 off and I highly doubt you're going to see anything shorter if you're not a course skier.
    Our boat didn't have Perfect Pass or Zero Off so I skied only with the speedo.
    No complaints really. I did upgrade to a Nautique 196 when we moved to our ski community as we didn't need an open bow boat anymore.

That year of boat probably not fuel injected.

And really if you're a serious buyer tell the seller you want to ski behind it and play with it for an hour doing what you would be doing with it as an owner. Then you'll know!

Good luck and happy skiing!
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

My 98 wake is OK but not like the smaller boats (Prostar19 & Boomrang) just from the displacement perspective. As with every boat, balancing the load inside the boat is important for an even wake. From the discussion in previous years, I would recommend the three blade prop over the four blade as it creates less wash. For what I do, the wake is fine but then I ski at 36 mph where the wake is less pronounced.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I have a 99 Mobius - which is basically an Outback. WE run it through the course all the time at shorter ropes. It is not the flattest wake in the world but it is perfectly fine for most serious slalom skiers. It may actually be bigger than your outboard - but I think most inboards will be - unles syou want to get a new Prostar or a Nautique 2000.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I agree with Benson above that yes you may find a slightly larger wake then your out board, but the inboards do track MUCH better then your boat ever will. Coming from a similar type outboard boat. I have an 07 Outback similar to what I ski hard was telling you about and we ski occasionally in the course usually pulling 15,22 and maybe attempting 28 off and it tracks well and as for wakes its not bad. For serious ski days i definetely try to limit first ,people,one driver,spotter and skier only, then if possible i might even remove access gear to lighten up the boat.

On days when i can remove, coolers, extra life jackets, anchor , fatsacks etc, anything i really don't need , Then this Boat really skis nicely. Is it in the same ski category as a New Prostar or Nautique 200, NOT even close but 1/3 the cost. I'm not exactly sure what the boat your looking at will ski like but as someone mentioned...If you can manage a ski during demo ,Then you will really know.

Not all DD inboards ski well, I;ve skied behind a couple that quite frankly SCARED me First time hitting there wakes. The Outbacks are a midsize DD and generally ski pretty decent. Good luck.
    07 Outback DD

Something i forgot to mention that might help in your search for a decent skiing boat. Not sure if that model and year is/was , But is it Tournament rated? Generally the boats had to meet certain standards especially in wake to be rated so that may or may not help you decide and or find a decent ski boat...My 07 Is rated although shortly after not sure which year Moomba Quit going to the trouble and POLITICS of having there boats Rated...Now sadly the outback has even been discontinued from the Moomba lineup.
    07 Outback DD

You never mentioned your price range you're shopping in. There is some good deals on Ski-it-Again if you're willing to travel or pay delivery for a boat?
    Also summer just hit some areas and I promise you your ability to get a better deal on a boat will minimize.
    Most DD boats have somewhat decent wakes. You will notice a definite hit at 22' off on almost all of them based on the fact the wakes have to rise some place before they flatten out again. The wakes will then soften or be reduced as you shorten line lengths.
    If you're not a course skier this shouldn't matter too much to you. Nor will the little hump at 22' off as you're not working hard to create angle to the next buoy. Open water skiing you don't notice it as much. At least I don't because I don't take the same angle into a cut in the open water as I do the course.
    As I stated in my first post - if you're real serious tell the seller that. Tell him you want to drive it and you want to ski behind it. That's exactly what I did with my old Supra. The guy hummed and hawed until he skied behind it. He was in my driveway 30 minutes after we got back from the lake with cash in hand!
    Good luck dude!
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

Good evening,
    thanks to all of you that provided feedback to my original question. i have not made a purchase yet as life has been busy. I am glad I waited because things have changed and now I have an additional invester in the boat so my price range went up considerably. We are willing to spend in the 24k range now. So, I am hot on a 2006 Outback with only 72 hours on it. It doesn't have any bells or whistles and is a carb engine which is kind of a bummer. The guy says it is a bit cold blooded and needs to warm up a bit before you gun it for the first time. He also says with a three blad prop it tops at 42-44 which is kind of tight since I like to barefoot and if we have people in the boat. He is asking 19,500. I am looking at it tomorrow. Anything to watch out for or be concerned about on this model or year. Final note we are also considering a Malibu Response LXI which is at the top of our range and one year newer. I know this is a Moomba forum but which is the better value? Thanks for the help.

I owned a 2008 Outback and a 99 Malibu. You didn't give the hours on the Bu, but if it has less than 400 hrs on it, the Bu will have a better ski wake. Later down the road, the Bu will probably have a little better resale.

My Outback was a very nice boat. It has room that you won't find in another boat that will ski as nice as the Outback. A new, better prop will address any slight speed needs that you have.

Either boat that you pick will have a better ski wake than you are on now. As a final note, be careful with co-owner investments. Have a contract that spells out every detail of hours, maintenance, partner buyout, and repairs. More often than not, there is a divorce in the process along the way. Better to have a contract and a little hurt feelings than a nasty and pricey split.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I wouldn't spend that kind of money without having fuel injection. Honestly, if you are going to go carb'd you might as well save yourself a ton of money and get a Supra Comp. It's also a Skier's Choice boat and they are legendary as water ski boats. Also, most of the market has shifted to v-drive boats now and you'll find many Direct Drives that are plummeting in value because there's just not the demand for them. People that want a purpose built slalom/barefoot boat are a dying breed. So to a point you're paying for newer, not necessarily better on the direct drives.

If I were you, I would look for a boat with the following as a minimum:
    • Open Bow
    • Trunk
    • Heater
    • Fuel Injection

The shower is something that is honestly lowest on my list of extras. If it's cold enough I'd want to use the shower for my wetsuit, I'm in my drysuit.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com