Hybrid View

Default how to access/tighten bolts on bow grab bars?

'11 LSV

ive tried and variety of creative tools but cant access or tighten the bolts that hold down the bow grab bars. ive tried from below and from the speaker hole, with a wide variety of creative tools.

there is about 1" gap at the bottom and about 2.5" up at speaker level between the seat backs and the outer hull.

twice ive gotten the bolt threw the hole, while on a rachet, going threw the speaker hole with a ziptied extention on a 3/8" drive rachet. but theres nothing I can do from there.....

trying to go from below, any combination of a wobble and extentions, the socket ends up agains the outer hull, not in the center of the gunnel. because the base of the extentions/rachets, hits the 1" gap at the below the seat base.

help!

I feel your pain. i had the back one come loose last year and then the front one this year. I put locktite on both of them when I had to reattach them. For the front one, I just did it even though that's not the one you're having an issue with, my wife's arm would fit through the speaker hole and she could get the socket on the bolt.

For the one your having an issue with I think I threaded some fishing line down through the hole from the top and the tied it below the socket between the socket and the extension and then pulled it up. I basically worked at it until I found the right combination of extensions and wobbles to get it from the bottom. I could not get the rear bolt in from the speaker hole, I had to do it from the bottom. Seems like I had 3 extensions, the wobble between the 2nd and 3rd extensions and an articulating socket head wrench, if that makes sense.

I remember I was bloody and cursing afterwards, so pretty much a normal day working on the boat. Stupid sharp fiberglass.

I have an '11 LSV as well.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Sorry I thought that was the back that was out on your port side, like mine was. I realize looking at the picture again that is the front starboard side. So, a small arm might be able to get it done, through the speaker hole.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

well we got it after 5 hours! the rears were a piece of cake. plenty of room and visablity back there.
    the front loose one was not.
    we used a 3/8 drive. two 6" extensions, then a wobble socket with 20 wraps of duct tape on it, so it could only flex 5-10 degrees or so. and then another 6" extension, and then the socket.
    going from the bottom in the seat storage area went up from the bottom. then my fiancé took a handle handle threw the speaker hole and raised the upper extension/socket toward the centerline of the boat. from the base I could only move fore and aft.

literally 5 hours one 1 bolt.
    did the back two in like 3 minutes. and the other front one in about 15. having my fiancé lay on the battery and guide me to the bolt, since we didn't have the bolt hole to peep threw and was completely blind.

whew!

Ive never used the speaker holes solely because i dont have bow speakers. What has always worked for me is laying almost vertical in the stern with my legs up and one arm and a ratcheting crescent, i get one ratchet each time but it usually tightens up pretty quickly, but it sure beats the shit out of removing speakers each time. I'm 6'3 and my forearms are just long enough.
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

Glad I don't have bow rails
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

I spent hours trying to get these things tight with all that is listed above. The best thing you can buy are 2 flexible extension. It was a 30 second job after I bought 2 of these.
    2015 Supra SE 550