Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default My 2014 Exile Install...

This season I decided to add a second pair of tower speakers to compliment the XM9s - to even out the highs from the horns I went with SXT9s, custom painted of course;

I'm running the XM9s on top, using clamps that I custom made (I didn't like how large the stock Exile clamps were), with the SXT9s on bottom (where I had the XM9s last season)

Next up is pulling the Harpoon and replacing with 2 XM30.2's - one amp on each pair.

I'm debating on whether to keep the Xi800.4 that is powering the 6 SXT65s, or replace it with an XM15.4 to match the 30.2's. I'll keep the Xi1500.1 powering my 2 Kicker L7 10" subs, as that amp is mounted in a different area and isn't really seen.
    2013 Outback V

I also decided to need up my battery setup too - I added 2 6v Exide GC135's, one in each rear locker. While I was at it I ripped the carpet out and replaced with Hydroturf. Here you can see that, and the start of one of the GC135's;

The Hydroturf was wet and dirty in this pic, it looks much better cleaned up, and won't hold water like carpet so it's a win-win.

I'll be making Starboard battery boxes, similar to what I did in my '08 Outback - since these batteries are huge I don't want to waste the space that a molded box would take up.

I also added a Prosport20 2 bank charger, it is mounted the the wall in front of the engine, out of sight, out of mind, out of the way;

I don't have any pics after it was wired, as I put the trim panels back in and you can't really see it.
    2013 Outback V

Looks awesome! You may have described this in another thread, but how did you do the painting?

I taped off the woofers and mounts, then used 600 grit sand paper to scuff them down. I strung an unwound cost hanger through the mouth screw hole and hung them in my garage, wiped them down with a product called PlasticPrep, then sprayed them with Testors (model car) lacquer paint - Mopar Sublime green is a near perfect match. I let them dry for a few days them sprayed Krylon Double Coverage clear - easy peasy!

They are far from perfect, but good enough!
    2013 Outback V

Here is a picture of one of the speakers hanging, after paint before clear;

2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    This season I decided to add a second pair of tower speakers to compliment the XM9s - to even out the highs from the horns I went with SXT9s, custom painted of course;

I'm running the XM9s on top, using clamps that I custom made (I didn't like how large the stock Exile clamps were), with the SXT9s on bottom (where I had the XM9s last season)

Next up is pulling the Harpoon and replacing with 2 XM30.2's - one amp on each pair.

I'm debating on whether to keep the Xi800.4 that is powering the 6 SXT65s, or replace it with an XM15.4 to match the 30.2's. I'll keep the Xi1500.1 powering my 2 Kicker L7 10" subs, as that amp is mounted in a different area and isn't really seen.

Ian, Aewsome job you replacing the harpoon due to size or you want independent amps for the different types of speakers.

The harpoon drives my 4 xm9's great.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Looks great! What size L7's are those?

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Ian, Aewsome job you replacing the harpoon due to size or you want independent amps for the different types of speakers.

The harpoon drives my 4 xm9's great.
    Thanks! The Harpoon is great, I just want independent volume control between the pairs; plus it will look cooler on the amp rack, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
    Looks great! What size L7's are those?
    Thanks! They are 10", dual 4ohm in a 2.25 cubic foot ported enclosure - right now I have them series-parallel showing the amp a 4 ohm load - I'm going to switch it to parallel-parallel to draw more power out of the amp.

Here are a few pics of some of the rest of the install;

^^This was last year - I'm redoing the trim panel and cut thicker rings for the LEDs behind the subs.

All LEDs are RGB, I just installed a new music controller (third times a charm, hopefully)!
    2013 Outback V

Ian - looks great. I"m curious about the custom clamp you made. I cant really see it in the picture. Looks like you did some kinda surface mount design? The new Exile clamps are pretty slim (over the old), but they are still tube style. We do make an adaptor piece to surface mount.. but I'd be curious to see what you came up with. Devil is always on the details of these things

Love the green. Although I bet you sir have some crazy ass dreams at night! Nice job.

-Brian

"Can't really see it" - exactly what I was lookin for!

The bottom are just surface mounted to the tower cross bars, for the top I got creative...

The clamps are just like what you sell for Axis, except with a 1.875" clamp.

I ordered the base clamp from DIYWake, then I took the mount off of your clamp, drilled the DIY clamp to fit your mount and made the center hole larger, then painted 'em black and bolted together. Bingo bango boom!
    2013 Outback V