Default Wakesurfing Tips

Need some help with wakesurfing. We've been trying to figure out the wakesurfing stuff but have had a hard time with it. We have a basic starter board (5' Fish), a 2013 LSV, and have tried it with just a few people in the boat and with 8-10 people in the boat but can't seem to get a good surf wake. It's usually either too foamy or too flat. Have tried filling up center ballast and one side as well as filling up all 3 ballasts (600 lb. each) and having people sit on one side of the boat (surfer side). I'm sure part of it is the riders inability but I just feel like we're not doing something right to get a "good surf wake." How important is it to have weight/people in the bow? We've tried at different speeds too (10-12 mph usually). Any advise would be appreciated.
    2013 Mobius LSV
    Lake, Sun, Cold Beer = Moomba Time: Life is Good

front ballast full. rear surf side ballast full(lsv should have min 750's in rear locker). if you have 6, i'd put 1 or 2 in bow and remainder on surf side in main cabin(actually we always run one sitting on the rear deck with feet on the swim platform but do that at your own risk). run 10.5-11.5 and use the wakeplate to adjust the overall wave. start with wakeplate in the middle of the gauge and move either way until you have a clean face. not sure on water depth, but you really need 10ft min and 20 is better.
    spend 10 minutes or so adjusting with the plate and you will see the difference. then start surfing

it'll take a few trips to get it perfected and remember that most will not be throwing the rope and freeriding for miles the first outing. learn the wave and board and get some balance and slack in the rope. then toss and enjoy..

read mike mmandley's threads on the moomba flow for his mojo and look at all the time he has invested in getting the wave dialed and you will see that every wave every day is different.

post your results if you are out this weekend...

oh ya, forgot... new one to me last year spending most of the time on a river.. going upstream has a different wave than going downstream. we found going down to be better.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Wakesurfing Tips

10.4, plate all the way up seems to work well for us with with center bag and the respective side you surf on both filled up. Have had as few as 2 people in the boat and no more than 4 and doesn't seem to change it much

2013 Moomba Mobius LSV
    2003 Ebbtide Campioné 210
    1969 Sea Ray SRV 170
    2013 Moomba Mobius LSV
    345 HP Surf Motor
    EXILE SXT9's, ZLD
    SUMO 900s, 500 IBS, Flow

2009 F-150 FX4 Supercrew

It takes practice, when we started I only have 400 in the back and learned to surf with only that. Just keep trying.
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Default Wakesurfing Tips

I'd actually start even slower. We normally start people at 9.8 mph now, way more push which is what new riders need. On the regular wave the LSV likes a little weight in the starboard bag too, probably 20%. I almost always have the wake plate all the way up too, especially when learning at that speed.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Thanks! Going out now and will post feedback. Appreciate the tips!
    2013 Mobius LSV
    Lake, Sun, Cold Beer = Moomba Time: Life is Good

Yea, agree with above. Start at about 9.5 with the plate all the way up and go up slowly from there. Also, have the driver run the boat up to 11 or 12 then back down so you are mostly planed off and then adjusting back. Works better to clean it up.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!