Default Installing Perko Flush Valve

I am trying to install a perko inline flush kit in my 05 XLV. I had one in my Kamberra that was between the water inlet (on the bottom of the boat) and the transmission (vdrive). The space between the inlet and the vdrive is so short I cannot get the perko in and have enough room to flex the hose to connect it back to the water strainer. OK, Ok there is a question here.....

Does the valve have to go between the inlet and the vdrive or can I put it between the vdrive and the waterpump? Do I need to cool the transmission when just flushing it in the driveway or is cooling the engine sufficient?

Pete

Brian Raymond Guest

Default Replying to Topic 'Installing Perko Flush Valve'

Pete, hope all is well. You do need to have the flush kit before the V drive, there is a oil cooler built into the top of it where the water enters. You may want to get some wire reenforced 1 1/4" hose, so you can set everything up the way you want. Keep us posted. Brian Raymond

whats the flush kit used for??

Just curious

Thanks

j
    2005 Moomba Outback

It allows you to work on the boat with the engine running in your driveway. Also make winterizing much easier.

Also if boat is used in salt or brackish it allows you to flush the cooling system.

Hope this helps.

pjtatro,

let me know when you get this done and if you could take some photos of the install. I need to install one on my newer boat.

doug

I will post or send come pics when it is done. The XLV does not leave enough room to install using the existing length of hose. Brian R told me to face the inlet valve toward the rear of the boat and add some more hose so it will fit properly.

The kit is an easier version of "Fake a Lake", with this you do not have to crawl under the boat to flush the cooling system.

Pete

This is bad news for me. I just got finished adding a strainer and a perko flush value. I too did not have enough hose to put both the strainer and the flush value in-between the inlet and the v-drive. So I mounted both(strainer first) directly after the vdrive and before the impeller water pump.

Brian, if when you are on the flush you do not turn the propeller(meaning you have the engine in neutral, does the Vdrive turn? If it does not turn does it need to be cooled?