Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Brian......LOL

Feel free to take issue with anything ive posted. I have no fear and I am prepared to talk in a public forum all day long about marine audio..........without the personal jabs.

Default Should I give exile a shot?

Whatcha mean dusty " had". A hybrid setup?

He sell his ride?

Back to the audio thread. ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Whatcha mean dusty " had". A hybrid setup?

He sell his ride?

Back to the audio thread. ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He HAD as in XM7s and SXT speakers, then he upgraded to XM9s and they are all 9s like mine so they are not a hybrid.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

What mike said.

Both sounded good but the larger hlcds sound better, IMO.

Also worth mentioning, if looking at the hybrid, it needs more than one harpoon to reach its potential.

.... And my vote is to start by pulling the pro60s down.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 05-14-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Jamestown Ky, Lake Cumberland/Dale Hollow

Could not be happier with my exile set up!.. Sounds great and there is not alot of exile in my area. Every shop I have been at getting stuff done to the boat give me compliments on the sound and ask where I got them.
    1995 Moomba Boomerang-SOLD
    2008 Moomba Outback DD- SOLD
    2014 Moomba Mondo-SOLD
    2016 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    What mike said.

Both sounded good but the larger hlcds sound better, IMO.

Also worth mentioning, if looking at the hybrid, it needs more than one harpoon to reach its potential.

.... And my vote is to start by pulling the pro60s down.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    There is a list of reasons why a mix of 6 4 ohm pods consisting of 4 coaxials and 2 HLCDs need to be run on dual amps as opposed to a single 2 ohm stable 2 chnl. Its not a brand thing, it comes down to understanding why.

1.33 ohm load per chnl. This makes the amp work harder, but the output is not equal to that increased load
    sound sound quality goes down as load goes up
    amplifier power consumption is not linear. As load goes up, current draw goes up drastically. This means more heat shed
    When 2 or more speakers are wired together, they split the available power. Different types of speakers do not split that power evenly. So none of the speakers are being driven efficiently or to their potential.

The only way to effectively do the 6 pod, or even a 4 pod, mix of coaxials and HLCDs, is to use dual 2 chnls or a large 4 chnl. At this point, the cost really goes up, extra amp realestate is needed along with the install extras.

My point is, and has been, with Exile Audios current tower speaker options, the Hybrid is not needed. If the Manufacturer feels the hybrid is still relevant and needed in order to get a good sounding near-field SQ tower setup, then one needs to bluntly ask "WHY!"

The Wet Sounds Double-Up as a great sounding setup in its time. It was a pair of 8" mid-bass drivers (not coaxials) pair with a pair of 6.5 HLCDs. It was a means to balance out the aggressive compression drivers of the small 6.5" that lacked mid-bass. This made is a better setup close in, without any long range projection. It was discontinued about 3 seasons ago! WHY you ask? Because their current offerings fixed that need, making the 4 pod, dual amp setup obsolete.

To the OP,

If you want a different look and different sound signature, then by all means, change brands. But, do not go with the hybrid. Also, if you simply change speakers, the sound quality issues you note in your original post, will still be there.

Brian, if you would actually read what was posted, instead of focusing on who posted it, you would see this. I did not interject another brand and I have certainly not made a sales pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by MO-BS_405 View Post
    I've been looking at adding more speakers on my tower, possibly going with another brand. I have 2 wetsounds rev8's and 2 wetsounds pro 60's, they sound good but I want cleaner sound at high volume closer to the boat. I saw some prices on a hybrid package from exile that was hard to beat compared to what it's gunna cost me to keep adding wetsounds. And everyone around my area has wetsounds I want something different. If your running some exiles I would like to hear what you think, sound quality, overall finish, mounts ect.. Pros-cons. Thanks.
    If everyone around you is running Wetsounds and you want something different look at a Kicker KM 6500.2/KM6500 6-pack on a pair of KXM400.4 amps.

The Kicker horn is not poked through a giant hole in a midrange cone so the horn geometry is not compromised by having to use a straight section of tube. The flare of the horn uses Tractrix geometry preventing peakiness and standing waves that make a typical coax HLCD sound so honky.

Since the midrange cone doesn't have a giant hole through it the mid has way more are than a coax 6.5" HLCD. The 6-pack I am recommending uses 4 mids and two horns for cone area comparable to a 10" HLCD coax like the other guys.

The Kicker 6-pack was designed from the beginning to be smooth up close while at the same time projecting out to a rider. The engineer who helped design them was a designer at a famous home audio / pro audio horn company prior to joining Kicker. I am using the 6-pack as front stage in my home theater. I'm listening to Jimmy Fallon through them right now.

Power? We often see 1000 watts applied to the Kicker KM6500.2/KM6500 6-pack. I have 400 watts on the 6-pack in my living room. The KXM400.4 will run at rated power into the KM6500.2. Add another KXM400.4 on the KM6500 extra mids and you got an 800 watt system that can be Diana Krall smooth up close, and with a track change and a twist of a knob be equally as good at being loud blasting Foo Fighters to the end of the rope.

Lastly consider this. Kicker is a 40-year old company that started as a pro-sound speaker manufacturer building full range horn-loaded PA cabinets. Mobile audio cans along later, but guess what the first Kicker product used for the high frequencies? Horns. Our engineering staff hovers at currently somewhere around 60 people. Show me another company that committed to superior product design.

Our company owner had a rock band and basically started the Red Dirt music scene. Our GM was a touring hair band drummer. Our VP of product planning is a guitar player. I am a pro-sound and recording engineer. Music is in our blood. If you want to be true to your music, listen to the legend. Kicker.

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 05-15-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Jamestown Ky, Lake Cumberland/Dale Hollow

Any JL audio guys wanna chime in and promote thier product. Bullet, anyone? cant let this thread die with 3 manufacturers. Dont Memphis make a HLCD? GOGOOGOGO!
    1995 Moomba Boomerang-SOLD
    2008 Moomba Outback DD- SOLD
    2014 Moomba Mondo-SOLD
    2016 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Jwredmon101 View Post
    Any JL audio guys wanna chime in and promote thier product. Bullet, anyone? cant let this thread die with 3 manufacturers. Dont Memphis make a HLCD? GOGOOGOGO!
    The sub and amp in my LSV is JL. That thing thumps and is clean as can be. will be the last piece I upgrade if I ever replace it.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Phil, am guessing you work for Kicker. My LSV has the 6 original Kicker in cabins. If I wanted to replace those, keeping the same size 6.5. What would you recommend? Keep in mind sound quality and budget.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig