Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Should I give exile a shot?

I've been looking at adding more speakers on my tower, possibly going with another brand. I have 2 wetsounds rev8's and 2 wetsounds pro 60's, they sound good but I want cleaner sound at high volume closer to the boat. I saw some prices on a hybrid package from exile that was hard to beat compared to what it's gunna cost me to keep adding wetsounds. And everyone around my area has wetsounds I want something different. If your running some exiles I would like to hear what you think, sound quality, overall finish, mounts ect.. Pros-cons. Thanks.
    06 möbius lsv

Hell yes! I have two pro80's and I'd like to get into exile but I can't right now and spending a good amount of dough on a boat stereo just isn't smart so I am sticking with what I have. But if I had the opportunity and means I would def give them a shot. Brian is awesome and he posts on here all the time.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

+ one for EXILE from me
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Uh, can't imagine running anything else on my tower.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

they sound good but I want cleaner sound at high volume closer to the boat
    Cleaner sound and you have Rev series......I would 1st look at the signal source, tuning and amp wattage, not different or more speakers. When the sound quality drops at the upper volume levels, it clearly points to something that pre-speaker, as the speaker is just reproducing whats delivered to it. Poor signal source as in weak head-unit or music storage device, poor quality/compressed music files and less than ideal amp settings or not enough amplifier are usually the root causes.

2nd, I would drop the Pro-60's from your setup and just run the Rev-8.

3rd, if you want more output and deeper mid-bass extension, you need a larger speaker. No number of 8", whether its the Rev-8, Icon-8, XM9 or SXT9 (yes, they are in the 8" speaker category) will give you deeper mid-bass, just yield more output.

I saw some prices on a hybrid package from exile that was hard to beat compared
    The Hybrid system is absolutely easy to beat. With the right speaker, the right amp and the right tune, there is no need to mix a coaxial with an HLCD to balance and smooth out the near-field listening. To properly drive a coaxial/HLCD mix, you need either dual 2 chnl amps, one for each speaker pair, or a very large 4 chnl that will deliver the needed power to each. Compare the cost of that 4 pod/dual amp setup to a single pair of larger HLCDs and you will see.

Love my exile!!!!
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

They are clear at high volume don't get me wrong, RCA, wiring, amps all good. they just sound best at the 30-70ft range, I surf a lot, but more than anything I tie up and have some cold ones and crank the tunes. So I'm looking for a full range of sound closer to my boat.
    06 möbius lsv

Quote Originally Posted by MO-BS_405 View Post
    They are clear at high volume don't get me wrong, RCA, wiring, amps all good. they just sound best at the 30-70ft range, I surf a lot, but more than anything I tie up and have some cold ones and crank the tunes. So I'm looking for a full range of sound closer to my boat.
    A single pair of larger 10" HLCD, driven by a single amp, would give you far deeper mid-bass for that near-field listening, than any number 8" HLCDs or coaxials. At the same time, you do not lose any wake-range projection as you would if you went to a complete coaxial setup. Far more economical then a 4 or 6 pod mix of HLCD and full-range coaxial and dual amps. Much more efficient in terms of battery draw for those long days at anchor. Lastly, that single amp will take less cabling to connect and less realestate to mount then the dual amps for a mix, would require.

So instead of adding more speakers, I would 1st drop the Pro60's, double check the tune for Rev-8's and you might be surprised at how warm they can be for those surf runs and party tie ups. Easing back on the gains, lowering the cross-over, adding a tad of bass and subtracting a sliver of treble at the head-unit is all thats needed to warm them up for a more surf oriented setup. Or, if you have dual EQ like the WS-420, you can make those fine adjustments right at the helm to only the tower setup, leaving the tune to the in-boats as it is.

At that point, if its not enough mid-bass balance, then sell the tower setup and apply it to a pair of larger HLCD's. You may even find a shop willing to offer some trade-in credit if the gear is still in good working and cosmetic condition.

exactly the reason I don't have rev8's. I have 4 icon8's and they sound great at party cove/surfing distances. can't really hear them at wakeboard range clearly but we spend 5% of our time boarding.

I would think you will have no issues peddling the wetsounds gear, and you should net almost enough to be a wash to go with 4 non-hlcd cans. question now is whether you go exile or wetsounds.

either way, I think you'll be happy..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Very happy Exile customer here!
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there