Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Just bought a 2004 Moomba Mobius XLV. Steering, bilge, and water intrusion issues.

Hi, new to the forum and to inboard boats altogether.

Had a few questions about my used 2004 XLV that I just bought. Runs great, good compression, just serviced and we are really enjoying it with a few exceptions....and please forgive my ignorance....still figuring this thing out.

1. Why are there two bilge hose outlets on the side?

2. We ran into an issue on the lake with the bilge pump. We had to head back to shore after the pump quit working. It was coming on every 30 minutes or so, which seems like a lot compared to my old Sea Ray that I had. Just bought a replacement because I think the old one burned out. Water got up to the upper parts of the V drive but well below the engine. Do I need to replace the fluids? I am going to check all obvious places for leaks, exhaust clamps, drive shaft bearing, etc. One thing I need to figure out is the location of the ballast bag valves. the previous owner took the bags out and I think one may be open hence the extra bilge water. Any other areas to check? Also, I only know of one drain plug on the transom and no others.

3. Anyone ever run a backup bilge pump? Maybe connect to backup battery and spare alternate switch? Overkill?

4. Steering is tight. Difficult to turn at times. I've read up on forums about replacing the cable but I was wondering if I could try lubing any zerk fittings or anything like that first. Don't know where to start.

5. Anyone know where I can get a service manual? I have the owner's manual, but I was hoping to get something like a Chilton's or Hayes type manual.

6. Anything else I need to know about Moombas? So far my first impression is great. Love our new boat.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
    2014 Mojo

Default Just bought a 2004 Moomba Mobius XLV. Steering, bilge, and water intrusion issues.

Your bilge shouldn't be coming on unless you're taking water over the bow or something of that nature. If your just driving around then I don't see any reason why the bilge would be running. Did you out both drain plugs in?

The multiple outlets are likely for ballast system vents.

If you're coming from an I/O like I did, the steering stiffness is tough to adjust to.

There are many more experienced inboard boaters and XLV owners who can probably provide more insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Welcome, congrats on the new boat. Post your location and some pictures to show it off. I second the bilge should not be running unless water is getting in from somewhere. My brothers old boat ran great, good compression but always had a bilge full of water, he had a cracked block. Fortunately it was an easy repair. Put a hose on it and see if water is coming out of the engine anywhere. My LSV has great steering, not to stiff. I do carry a small battery powered pump on board, but if I do my homework in the driveway there shouldn't be a need for it or a second bilge pump. Check Indmar's site for engine manuals.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Check the gland packing on the drive shaft to see if it's leaking excessively.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Thanks for the helpful and quick responses! I will check all suggested areas for water intrusion. I think xlvs only have 1 drain plug on the transom... am I missing something?

I will post some pics as soon as I get them...maybe this weekend.

Yes, I need to refine my pre op routine to include checking the bilge function thoroughly.

Can't wait for the weekend!

Thanks again!
    2014 Mojo

Congrats on the boat by the way!

Inboards/Vdrives have a center drain plug as well. Yours is located right in front of the engine, take a peek at the OM.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...CjmuutttP0aagA

Your first concern should be to find where water is getting in. Drain plugs, packings, engine cracks, etc.
    2022 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    Congrats on the boat by the way!

Inboards/Vdrives have a center drain plug as well. Yours is located right in front of the engine, take a peek at the OM.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...CjmuutttP0aagA

Your first concern should be to find where water is getting in. Drain plugs, packings, engine cracks, etc.

I am pretty sure the center plug is only for direct drives... check page 23 of the manual
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

With 7 ballast pumps on board I never worry too much about if a bilge pump were to go out. I think I could make something work. You may have a valve open or a ballast hose disconnected. Need to inspect the whole system and get familiar with how it works. Feel free to post a drawing and ask any questions if you need help. The guys on here make this the best forum to which you will ever belong. Congrats on the XLV. You're gonna love it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Just bought a 2004 Moomba Mobius XLV. Steering, bilge, and water intrusion is...

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    I am pretty sure the center plug is only for direct drives... check page 23 of the manual
    I don't know for sure, just something for him to check. My Mojo has 2 drain plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Moomba Mojo

I believe my LSV only has the one in the transom. would assume the XLV is similar. I'm curious now so will have to go looking for another one! LOL
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig