Default Rudder Alignment

Just replaced the steering cable on an 01 outback. Now, if facing the back of the boat, the rudder moves more right than left by a noticable difference. What is the proper way to center the rudder so you get equal movement in both dirrections.

Default Replying to Topic 'Rudder Alignment'

Also, am I going crazy or did they delete some posts. I had started one on changing the steering cable. By the way, it was the steering cable causing the hard steering, now, my 2 year old nephew could easily turn the wheel.

yes they did a database rollback, I guess we should have started a post that explains what happened...details of what happened are mixed into a bunch of posts... Basically repost your issue about the steering cable, people will ring in and reply again. That was some valuable info so make sure you repost!

Cheers!
    2005 Moomba Outback

Like I said in a previous post, the steering on my friend's 01 outback had gotten to the point where my wife couldnt hardly drive the boat. There was some questions about if the gas tank needed to be removed and it doesnt. We started by removing the floor underneath the rear seat. We then had to pretty much do a head stand in the hole and reach underneath the fuel tank to get to where the rudder attached to the steering cable. Helps to turn the wheel all the way one direction(not sure which) so the connection point is closer to you. After we detached the cable from the rudder and unscrewed it from the mounting bracket, we tied a rope onto it. We then pulled out the kickboard underneath the driver's seat, this makes it easier to pull the cable out. After removing the rack, by removing the four bolts attaching it to the pinion, one person got in the front and started pulling on the cable while the other helped feed it through the bottom of the boat. We then attached the rope to the new cable and began feeding it back. I found it helps to pull the rope when we were getting it started but after that the cable could be pushed in from the front. While I was pushing the cable in, my buddy was helping guide it by reaching through the bilge pump cover and the clamshell. The hardest part of the ordeal was reaching underneath the tank to get to the rudder. Now my question is, with the new cable attached, the rudder turns more to the right than the left by a noticable difference. How do I equal out the amount of travel in each direction or do I need to. I dont know if it did this with the old cable but it doesnt seem right. I could see it traveling more in one direction due to prop wash, but not the amount I am seeing.