Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Head Unit?

Default No Head Unit?

Ok I know it's been asked before and some have gone the route. I've searched all yesterday for a definitive answer but couldn't come up with one.
    I just ordered th Wet Sounds Bluetooth Volume Control and now considering dropping my head unit altogether and putting in a WS-420sq. All we listen to are the phones hooked up so I'm not worried about CD,USB or even radio stations.

My question is can I run just the 420sq and BT-VT and not lose much in quality. Also will the 420sq fit the hole in place of the head unit in the glove box.

Speaker set up is stock Kickers in the boat and Wet Sounds on the tower plus an additional sub behind the observers seat. Currently has two amps but couldn't tell you brand or type as haven't looked to closely at them and they were there when we got the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rakkasan; 05-06-2014 at 08:14 AM.
    2008 LSV on the way out
    '17 CRAZ!!! on the way in

Sometimes it's a benefit to have a source unit, if it's the right source unit, to increase the voltage from the ipod/iphone before entering the EQ input. Other than that there is no real difference in the final audio.
    Think the location through. A glove box mounted EQ isn't going to work for you. Once you eliminate the HU you also lose the dash remote control so you need the EQ master volume control at your fingertips. Plus, the Wetsounds has zone controls on the face that you'll constantly need access to, not to mention that this is the most feature packed EQ available.

One of the reasons I wanted to put it the glove box is because right now I have no dash remote to control the volume. So I'm constantly having to open the glove box in order to change the volume. It's a real pain that's why I'm buying the Bluetooth volume control. I just figured I could get the 420sq put it in the glove box, set it up the way I wanted, and close the door. Then run the volume control to the drivers side, that way I'm not getting up every time we switch riders to crank the music up or down it'll be right there by me.

Am I missing something as to the reason why you would need the whole equal by the driver?
    2008 LSV on the way out

personally, I would have ordered the WS420-BT

It's basically a 420sq with BUILT IN bluetooth. It also has a full din sized faceplate so you don't have the problems with the 1/2 din not filling up the spot where your headunit was.

Yeah, it's more expensive than just the 420sq. But I think that integrated Bluetooth would be great instead of two units.

Here is my 420-sq that I use without a head unit. I did have to put in a switch to send a remote turn on lead to my amps though, as the WS420SQ doesn't have a remote turn on lead like most head units do.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I would not locate the EQ in the glove box. You lose all the best functions of that device, zone control.

I'm basically looking for a way to simplify the whole radio. The pervious owner put in a sony xplod head unit and all the controls to set it just right are confusing. If I get the tower sounding just right then the cabin speakers sound like crap and vice versa. Maybe I just need a better head unit who knows I just like the simplicity and control of having just the 420 would offer.
    2008 LSV on the way out

Now I see why you'd want to split them up. Is there a way you can mount the 420 over by the driver? That's honestly the best. I have one and find myself turning up just the tower speakers, or sometimes I turn up the master volume. But it's quite common for me to need to drop/crank the volume when someone's surfing vs. when we're going to pick up a fallen rider.

I guess I'm lucky that I have my stereo location in my dash rather than glovebox.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I can put it on the drivers side. I guess since I already dropped the money on the volume control I was just kinda wanting one knob over there to keep it clean and only have one volume to control.
    I don't mind turning all the volume up or down as long as I can tune the zones to sound just right at any volume together.
    2008 LSV on the way out

Once you mount the EQ high and tight under the driver's dash, whether over your right of left knee, it will only take you one day of operation before you thoroughly appreciate this location.
    Btw, there are some functionality advantages to the EQ and BT broken into two parts. So its not a loss.

Where does everbody keep there phones and ipods on the driver side so they are protected? Do u use the cup holder or do u run a long 3.5 to the glove box?

Sent from my VS890 4G using Tapatalk
    1988 Ski Centurion Falcon
    2013 Moomba Outback V