Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Head Unit?

Default No Head Unit?

Quote Originally Posted by gscharf View Post
    Where does everbody keep there phones and ipods on the driver side so they are protected? Do u use the cup holder or do u run a long 3.5 to the glove box?

Sent from my VS890 4G using Tapatalk
    I use a waterproof case and just place it to the rt between the windshield and the gauge panel.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Default No Head Unit?

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    Once you mount the EQ high and tight under the driver's dash, whether over your right of left knee, it will only take you one day of operation before you thoroughly appreciate this location.
    Btw, there are some functionality advantages to the EQ and BT broken into two parts. So its not a loss.
    I agree 100% that having the eq mounted on the drivers side is a great option. Operating the controls has just become muscle memory and I never even look at the eq.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

So y'all think I should just leave the head unit even though I wouldn't really use it? My whole thought process of getting the 420 was to pair it with the Bluetooth volume control. But if I put the EQ on the drivers side then I wouldn't really need the volume control. The biggest and only real issue I have with my current setup is the basic ability to control the volume from the drivers side.
    2008 LSV on the way out
    '17 CRAZ!!! on the way in

Quote Originally Posted by Rakkasan View Post
    So y'all think I should just leave the head unit even though I wouldn't really use it? My whole thought process of getting the 420 was to pair it with the Bluetooth volume control. But if I put the EQ on the drivers side then I wouldn't really need the volume control. The biggest and only real issue I have with my current setup is the basic ability to control the volume from the drivers side.
    The Wetsounds EQ has an in-boat zone level control, tower zone level control, dedicated subwoofer level control.....PLUS, a master volume control on the face. If you eliminate the HU you will give up nothing in the way of control but gain quite a bit via the EQ. On the other hand, it only requires one RCA cable set to use the tuner in the rare instance someone wanted it. You have a second Aux input on the EQ for the BT. You're covered.

Quote Originally Posted by gscharf View Post
    Where does everbody keep there phones and ipods on the driver side so they are protected? Do u use the cup holder or do u run a long 3.5 to the glove box?

Sent from my VS890 4G using Tapatalk
    I got another car dock for my phone and use the suction cup mount to the windshield.

You can also see my WS420-SQ with the 1/2 din pocket. So, if I really wanted, I could put a slimmer phone in the pocket.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rakkasan View Post
    Use the 420 where it is designed to be, within the driver's reach. As others have implied, once you get used to it, you will wonder how you ever lived without it (kind of like a garage door opener, I am old and did not grow up with a garage door opener). Now at my offsite storage yard I sit outside pushing buttons in the truck wondering why the door doesn't open.

Anyway, leave the HU or get one that you can plug in a USB or IPhone to. HUs are relatively cheap! Ours has the USB input and Sirrius, mostly we just have four different USBs with four different styles of music and switch them out. We just throw all our phones, extra USBs, truck keys and sunglasses in the glove box with the HU and let them bang around! Haven't had a problem yet.

If the HU doesn't remember the dock settings after the perko switch has been turned off then back on, you only have to set it once at the start of the day and it shouldn't take you that long. After that, use the 420 for all it's splendor!

I wish I had known about Zone control devices before!
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Well i just got in the Wet Sounds Bluetooth Volume Control. I have an AUX plug already in the HU so I guess I'll just hook that up and see how it sounds. Might end up skipping the 420 all togeather and the only reason I was looking at it was to control the volume anyway and replace the HU.

I see the reason everyone keeps telling me the put the 420 on the drivers side but i think everyone was missing my original idea. The whole reason i was considering the 420 was volume control.
    Right now i have to get up and go the the glove box and change the volume. Hence why i bought the Bluetooth volume control now i can hook it up on the drivers side and not have to move to change the volume. If I get the 420 and put it on the drivers side then i defeats the purpose of buying the Volume control in the first place. But if I pull the HU and put in the 420 and set it just the way i wanted(base/treble) and not worry to much about the zone volume just overall volume then that all I was looking for.

Hope that explains my thinking a little better.
    Let me know if you think I'll just be waisting my money by going this route and not taking full advantage of the 420 because the the zone volume control which I don't know that I would use as much.
    2008 LSV on the way out

I think that what most of us that are WS420 lovers believe is that the ability to adjust the tower speakers seperate from the in-boat speakers is something that a lot of us value and use regularly. It's pretty nice to be able to crank up just the tower speakers for the rider. Or to just have the ability to adjust the relative volumes of the tower vs. boat vs. sub.

BUT, if you're really not going to use that functionality then yeah, the BT controller will likely acomplish your basic need.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

If replace the head-unit with the WS-420 in the glove-box, yes, you are not taking advantage of what the WS-420 has to offer at all.

The WS-420 offer master volume control, head-unit offers master volume control, WS-420 offer 3 zone volume control, head-unit does not offer zone control.

The issue with the head-unit being located in the glove box, forcing you to get up and and adjust is, is a con you keep referring to. Putting the WS-420 in the glove box in place of the head-unit, has you still in the same boat, right?

So i would keep the head-unit, pass on the WS-420 and just go with the BT and you can use its volume control or your blue tooth music source.

Ok thats what I was kinda thinking. I would love the WS-420 or the WS-420 with bluetooth. Maybe I'll see how my curret setup will work this year and drop the cash for the 420 next year if I feel I can't get the best out of this setup.
    2008 LSV on the way out