Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Just got off the phone with UFP, looks like they may help out with the cost of the axel. Not a done deal yet, but sounded like it would happen. If so I would only be out cost of repair/shipping which was not bad.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

The # I called was 931-968-9050 and I talked to Dennis... I installed mine myself and it took me about 3hrs to do by myself and that was with the boat on the trailer.. Just remember to measure your side that is still good and hasn't dropped because it can be kindof tricky to get them set back up since they are splined.. I just measured from the top of my frame to the bottom of the torsion with the wheels removed and set both sides up that way...

I used an angle finder. Worked well.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    Are these all single axel trailers that have had the axel break? I would expect single and tandem are different axels due to weight requirements. I have a tandem. I was under the boat a lot over the weekend and looked over both axels pretty well and didn't see anything of concern.
    You wouldn't be able to visually tell that anything was wrong, it's an internal component flaw. Basically when the axle fails the internals will over-rotate and cause your wheels to jam up into the fender. You won't know it's going to happen until it happens. It's possible your axles are a similar design if they're UFP torsion axles but I doubt the same exact axle model; my understanding is the flaw only affected trailers with single axles for a couple years (~06-08 ). I doubt the axles are the same capacity, that would seem like overkill; but if by chance they were then I doubt they'd fail with only approximately half the load on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 23scuba View Post
    The # I called was 931-968-9050 and I talked to Dennis... I installed mine myself and it took me about 3hrs to do by myself and that was with the boat on the trailer.. Just remember to measure your side that is still good and hasn't dropped because it can be kindof tricky to get them set back up since they are splined.. I just measured from the top of my frame to the bottom of the torsion with the wheels removed and set both sides up that way...
    In my case, both sides of my axle failed at the same time. I believe on UFP's website you can download and print installation instructions which also includes a very handy measurement sheet that you write down your trailer and tire measurements on and it will help you calculate what angle to mount your trailing arm on the spline.

After you realize how hard it is to pry the trailing arms off (they'll probably be stuck on pretty good), I strongly suggest cleaning off the new splines thoroughly with a wire brush (I used my wire brush on my drill) to get as much debris off as possible (they are taped over during shipment). I think I put some anti-seize grease on the new splines too. Also a brake bleeder was a helpful tool for the project instead of hand bleeding it at the coupler, and an air compressor with a chisel was excellent for getting the trailing arms off of the splines.
    Last edited by Wax; 05-20-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV