Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 2013 Moomba Mojo Flow

This is a new thread to go along with the Enhancement Device thread, that one has gotten so long and so many replies that unless you read the bulk of it you lose track of the direction.

In short we got the Flow installed, and spent 2 days testing so fare.
    Day 1
    Not real impressed but we had it WAY over weighted.

This is Day 2
    Forgive me for the lack of Regular Pictures and Video, Frankly the Regular side is pretty easy to set up and so there isn't as many pictures, but I can give a Solid review of my findings.

Goofy has a lot of pictures and a few Videos.

Down to business.

Weighting on the Regular,
    900 both rears Full.
    500 Hard tank full
    650 IBS <integrated bow sac> Filled

With just this the wave was easy to create, and make clean. This is true with all 3 Flow Settings and the Wake Plate any position I wanted.

Anything over 900 rears you have to Compensate with MORE NOSE weight.
    The Flow is designed to operate a certain water depth and if you sink the rear badly then your Flow will drowned itself.

I surfed this set up and for the normal weekend warriors, semi serious surfers it works very well. Boat doesn't lean at Idle, of course when people sit on the Reg it gets to leaning again. Under Power the boat does tend to level its self out more but ultimately the Lean makes the wave just that much better.

I later surfed <pic> with the 450 sac under the center bow cushion with apx 300lbs of weight. I could see a big difference in wave Length, it stayed clean in all settings and had huge power at the transition of the wave and solid push though out the center. Power and Push was lost in the rear but still enough to pump the board in to recover.

For the Goofy side, which is notoriously finicky on Moomba. I found a setup that works, I can only believe Moomba ran a boat with only a Driver, or unknown to the public settings to achieve the waves they are showing in videos.

My first attempt yesterday was identical setup to the Regular Side.

Weighting on the Goofy,
    900 both rears Full.
    500 Hard tank full

Absolutely would not clean up in any setting of the Flow or the wake plate. It would make a wave but it was really washed out.

This is the settings that worked for us.
    Weighting on the Goofy 900
    Weighting on the Regular 450
    900 both rears Full.
    500 Hard tank full

This produced these waves.

All 3 settings, wake plate is UP 100% in pictures to show differences. Wave is clean is all wake plate settings.
    If you look at the base of the wave you can see the differences in depth.
    Flow Setting 1 <skim style>

Flow Setting 2 <medium>

Flow Setting 3 <barrel>

Here is a few Videos
    I added the 250 in the walkway for these.

Quick video of our Moomba Mojo with the Flow installed. Deployed to setting 2
    Ballast 900 Star, 450 Port, 500 Hard tank 650 IBS and 250 under bow cushions.

Next is
    Quick video of our Moomba Mojo with the Flow installed. Deployed to setting 3
    Ballast 900 Star, 450 Port, 500 Hard tank 650 IBS and 250 under bow cushions.

Lastly its never as real as when you put a person on the wave.
    Claudia likes to surf close to the boat, she always has but in the first Video its set up exactly like the above link.

She said it was an improvement but she wanted more wave.

This one is same boat settings but I moved the bag from under the center cushion to on the bow seats like we normally do and filled it to 450.
    She was also pretty tired at this point and riding the rear of the board hard, I kept telling her to move her front foot forward to balance her weight. She wasn't listening to me at this point because she was tired LOL.

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

My findings are you still have to really think about how you want to set your boat to surf.

1 Do you want the biggest meanest wave the Mojo can throw? I personally do, that means SAC IT
    1500 rear, 500 Hard tank, 650 Bow, 450 in the Bow Surf Side
    This nets me the largest wave possible with good length and awesome power and push.

2 ease of set up and Storage under seats.
    FLOW- 900 rears are the Max I could use and make it work with all ballast hidden
    900 Rears, 500 Hard tank 650 IBS

Add a Bow sac on the seats and its even better.
    Add 1100 to the rears and you will be adding more weight in the front as the Flow is getting burried too fare under the water.

Lets do a Little Price Comparison.
    Flow at my Dealer is 1100 + 250 installed. APx 1350 option.

Sumo 900s 180 each
    Fly High 1100 190 each
    Fly High 1500 490 each
    IBS 270
    450 bag for the walkway, or in the bow on the seats. 140
    Pump for that bag. 90

Plumbing, fittings, all variable to what you want to set it up as but lets say 200 for it all.

830 is your basic upgrade for rears, IBS, fittings, hoses
    Want to full sac it out with 1500s? 1450 total

You might want to add that 450 Bag to make your wave longer,
    140 bag plus 90 quick fill pump to the Bill.

So either way running BIG SURF like I prefer is going to cost you some cheddar.

Spend the money for the Flow and you can surf a ton better then stock.
    I personally don't think the Mojo is much of a Surf boat at all in Stock form.

At the very least you need 900 rears and 650 IBS. thats 600+ upgrade right there.

For myself as a closer to this testing session,
    I am going to stay with the Flow and my 900 rears.
    1500 Enzos will be on the shelf for a bit.
    I think with my set up and using my 450 Bag in the Bow I will be able to make a better wave then with my 1500s alone, plus I pick up all the storage under my cabin seats again.
    Last edited by mmandley; 05-01-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Great info, thanks for sharing!!!

Plus if your wife surfs goofy and you surf regular that is a big time savings to not have to "move" the water from one side to the other, correct? To me (since my wife is also goofy and the kids and I are regular) that is really the biggest benefit....

Also, I would think less ballast weight means less gas burned which will also add to the bottom line. Maybe you could do that test next.............fuel burn comparison between your old setup and the new using the flow?!?
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    Great info, thanks for sharing!!!

Plus if your wife surfs goofy and you surf regular that is a big time savings to not have to "move" the water from one side to the other, correct? To me (since my wife is also goofy and the kids and I are regular) that is really the biggest benefit....

Also, I would think less ballast weight means less gas burned which will also add to the bottom line. Maybe you could do that test next.............fuel burn comparison between your old setup and the new using the flow?!?
    Yes using the Flow setup I can switch faster. I am only draining 450lbs out of my Regular side and thats only 4 minutes.
    450 Sac we use in the Bow is 1 minute, we just roll it from 1 side of the bow to the other LOL.

I will keep you posted on my Fuel consumption, Last year was a fairly steady 3.5 Gal an hour. Generally we would put 14 gallons we day or 50 bucks at our fuel cost.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default 2013 Moomba Mojo Flow

Am I reading this correctly that you are going to probably use the flow over listing this summer and that you feel the wave will be better?
    Rusty

2013 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by rbeckner27 View Post
    Am I reading this correctly that you are going to probably use the flow over listing this summer and that you feel the wave will be better?
    We are kinda using both actually,
    Just the Flow, the wave is nice, not as big as last years all ballast.
    Using the Flow and the 450 bag in the Bow I think its better in the fact the wave is longer, with good power, push but its Not as tall, so less area to work with in the wave.

Benefit I am seeing is, faster switch time from Reg to Goofy only having to drain the Reg bag by 50%.
    Gaining storage back under the cabin seats
    Longer Wave to work with both sides

Losses, wave not as tall, smaller pocket to ride in up and down in on both sides.

After a few more days on the water to test everything out I can make a better determination, Goofy is always hard to really assess because I don't ride it, but I tend to know how much Claudia is liking it or not by her facial expressions.

What I really feel like is the FLOW is making up the difference between my 1500 down to 900.
    Adding my 450 to the Bow is allowing me to make the wave longer

Using the Flow instead of the 1500 makes the wave shorter in height because the rear isn't as deep in the water
    Last edited by mmandley; 05-01-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I believe that mike's comments really confirm what I have read from any of the add-on gizmo's from moomba/supra/axis/'bu/mc and the such.
    they all make it easier to switch from side to side and should improve fuel economy but your wave will not be the best that any particular hull will produce by sacking it out..

personally, all we do is surf so having the best wave is important(read: large bags and loss of some storage), but I know some that board and surfing is more of something to do afterwards to mellow out. for them, the flow will be a great addition to get a better-than-stock wave.

great to have choices and it's nice to see posts like this that really lay out all the details and the commitment to installing something and testing it for those that have not decided yet...

thanks Mike
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

+1 for Sandm's comments. Pretty cool write up Mike. Thanks for taking the time. Now if you could run the same tests on a Mondo that would be great.

sent from my S4 using Tapatalk
    2014 Moomba Mondo - Exile Tower/Sub/ZLD/EXBT4/Amps (2x), Hertz Cabin - Evolution Cover - 650 IBS, 900s Rear, Center Hard Tank, Flow
    1969 Bayliner Tahiti - 120 HP Force Outboard - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Mrd8ker View Post
    +1 for Sandm's comments. Pretty cool write up Mike. Thanks for taking the time. Now if you could run the same tests on a Mondo that would be great.

sent from my S4 using Tapatalk
    Let me know when you want to meet up, I'd be happy to come aboard and help you out, take some pics, video, do a write up and get you dialed in.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

are the sumo 900 # bag a direct replacement for the stock 650.Is there anything else needed for that change. Also how hard is the 650 IBS install? thx for the help.
    2014 MOJO 2.5