Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Holley 4150 Carb Rebuild

I just recently successfully rebuilt my Holley 4150 Carb off a Indmar 310.
    It came out of my 2006 Mobius LSV.
    If anyone has any questions or would like help with a similar project please feel free to ask.
    I had never done it before, learned a lot, made a few mistakes, but went from a non-running boat to a boat that runs super good.
    Anyways, hope you all have a trouble free summer but if you get in a tight spot I'd love to help if I can!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by bludpumper; 04-27-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: tags

Cool,most guys seem to be a little afraid of that project.
    04 LSV

Dang proud of you. Wish you would have done a full pic HOW TO though for the carb guys on here. Maybe next time.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have had my boat out a couple times since rebuild and it runs strong!

I do have a question for those of you who are more savvy than me on tuning the 4150 Carb?

When I drop in water for first cold start, it will not start unless I turn in main idle screw about 1.5-2 full turns. Then it fires right up but obviously is idling high (1500-1600 RPM). The choke then goes through cycle opens completely and then i can turn out idle screw to normal value (~850-900 RPM).
    The boat will then start fine for the rest of the day at that idle screw setting?
    What am I missing? Float levels seem correct. Air mixture are at 1.5 turns out and it idles great?
    Thanks for all responses....It's finally warming up out there. My 11 year old daughter just had her first set on Monday! We had the whole lake to ourselves....
    love each day...

2006 Mobius LSV
    1996 Chevy Suburban 2500

if you do a step by step, maybe even pics if you have them it would be a great how to for the how to forum
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

my buddies '94 boomerang would not run this spring. he had too much fogging on the plugs he replaced last fall. while tinkering, I noticed that his carb is horribly dirty. I have never had much luck with them. an faq would have been nice. I told him to get his neighbor to do it for him

on the positive, cleaned the plugs and it's running awesome, but does need a carb clean/rebuild.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default carb rebuild

On your carb rebuild bludpumper did you notice any flaking internal to the carb/fuel bowl? My fuel bowl was leaking about half through this last weekend. Noticed the fumes while out on the water and saw that gas was dripping on a hot engine! Ouch! Tried to tighten the fule bowl screws and cracked the bowl causing it to leak more. End of our weekend on the Moomba anyway. I have 2006 LSV with Indmar 310 and Holley 4150. I pulled the bowl off, cracked threaded fuel inlet in the process, and later put my finger through the side of the bowl. It was very brittle and flaking significantly. I found today that Holley apparently has reported casting issues with 05 and 06model carb fuel bowls. I am calling first thing tomorrow and hope to get mine replaced as I have found other examples of exactly what mine looks like on auto repair forums. Will post and update after I talk to them. But if you have this setup, definitely check the fuel bowl. I cringe when I think about this crap floating around the engine.

With respect to starting, at least prior to this issue, I always have to prime for awhile before I get going on a cold start. I have thought it was electric choke issue but not sure. I have started using a shot of starting fluid into the carb and it starts right up. Saves starter and battery alot of stress. Hopefully no side effects from this approach.

Thanks, Hutch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '06 Mobius LSV

Hutch5-
    Thanks for the response. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately I can relate for sure.
    I was a novice going into this project so I just thought it was some kinda of carbon build-up or something. I had no idea it might be a manufacturing problem but that makes sense.
    Take a look at my pics. I think mine might have been worse even. Ya that crap was everywhere. I just scraped mine down and cleaned real good but I'll check with Holley too. The more they hear about it the more likely they will take care of it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61963004@N03/5756301882/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61963004@N03/5755760889/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61963004@N03/5756323670/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61963004@N03/5755765155/

There are more pics in that album if you follow the links.

Thanks for sharing let me know if you encounter any problems along the way on your rebuild. i found the rebuild kit on amazon. It is specific to the marine 4150s.
    This is the link to buy it if you haven't found one yet:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMJNDQ

Good luck!
    love each day...

2006 Mobius LSV
    1996 Chevy Suburban 2500

Default holley carb

So I talked to Holley today...Ricky in tech service. I gave him the list number from the carb (75021-3; 1156) The second number indicates 2006 year and Ricky said this was one of the units with casting issues. So he has asked that I remove the whole carb, send it in and they will send a new unit. Not sure if this does anything for you bludpumper but even after your rebuild if you have a number close to the one above might be worth making the call. 1-866-GO-HOLLEY For all who have a 2006 4150 model carb I would check the fuel bowl (easy to remove) and see if you have any of this flaking. I was baffled as to how the inside of the fuel bowl could look as bad as it did.

Hutch
    '06 Mobius LSV

Hutch-
    Thanks for the info. Yes if you looked at my pictures, my fuel bowls were doing the same thing. I'll definitely give Holley a call after I check the number on my carb.
    I appreciate the follow-up. hopefully we'll save some people some headache!

-Josh
    love each day...

2006 Mobius LSV
    1996 Chevy Suburban 2500