Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ski Pics

Quote Originally Posted by chadjitsu1 View Post
    I have been double skiing since I was about 12 years old and finally got up on a slalom ski for the first time last year. I never really tried before so last year I decided that I was going to try something different. There is a really nice cove with a course set up on my lake so I would like to eventually get where I can run the course.

I have been wakeboarding since I was about 16, I started out on a unidirectional board called a skurfer. Now I am riding flex boards and all kinds of crazy stuff. I will say that getting up and just cruising is much easier on a wakeboard BUT if you want to do anything more than that then I wouldn't say its easier. I know I am just getting started but going big wake to wake on a wakeboard and trying to add flips and spins is really difficult.

I will absolutely go out on a limb and say surfing is most definitely the easiest one, I usually surf after I get tired from skiing and wakeboarding. Its nice to just relax with a very low impact water sport. The worst thing that can happen is to fall into the swim platform or get tangled in the rope.

Any tips you want to provide for slalom skiing? I too have always skied doubles and would like to ski slalom once. Also wakeboard etc...
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    Any tips you want to provide for slalom skiing? I too have always skied doubles and would like to ski slalom once. Also wakeboard etc...
    The first thing you need to do is figure out what foot forward you are/want to be? This can be figured out on shore by simply standing and trying each foot one in front of the other.
    Once you establish you are either LFF or RFF the next time you are out skiing start by lifting up the ski that your back foot is in. Get used to feeling the weight on one foot (front foot) with the ability to put the other one down if you're going to lose your balance. Do this a few times or a few pulls.
    Once you feel comfortable the next step is to lose the ski you don't want. Make the binding big and sloppy if possible. When you're ready to let it go simply allow the ski to go backwards off your foot and leave it behind. Don't kick it off as it will cause you to lose balance. Let your open foot ease back on to the back of the single ski you are riding. Don't get in a big rush to get your back foot jammed into the rear toe piece. Get comfortable just resting it there and gaining your balance.
    Once you have your balance then start moving your back foot up the ski into the rear toe plate.
    Keep your shoulders up and square to the boat and your knees bent. As you get better balance the next things will be the wakes and deep water starts!
    Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted on your results!
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

Thanks, will try and see how it goes. Good simple advice.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

If you try deep water start, take a deep breath hide behind the ski and hold on tight.
    It is the hardest you will ever have to fight to get out.
    I say gear and the driver puts it in idle.
    This takes the slack out, gets me and the boat moving in same direction for a second, then say hit it and keep the ski straight. Best to keep it on 45-60 deg angle or so for least resistence.
    Also, you want to try it on a combo ski set, not a pro slalom ski. They are less stable and want to be on edge to turn.
    Last edited by jzelt; 05-28-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    2017 Moomba Craz
    400 Indmar Rapter 6.2L
    "X-ceeding Limits"

2004 Supra 22 Launch SSV-crushed by a massive oak tree. RIP 4/1/2023
    325 Indmar Assault 320 HP
    "One more hour"

They make slalom ski trainer ropes w a triangle in front of the handle you would put the ski tip in to help hold it vertical.
    Others also start by dragging their back foot out of the ski (like dropping one).
    2017 Moomba Craz
    400 Indmar Rapter 6.2L
    "X-ceeding Limits"

2004 Supra 22 Launch SSV-crushed by a massive oak tree. RIP 4/1/2023
    325 Indmar Assault 320 HP
    "One more hour"

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    I would say number one thing for your boat is to dump all the ballast, absolutely counter productive to crossing the wake Honestly the biggest thing that helped me was the rope I used. I didn't try the getting up on two skis and kicking one off, I started doing deep water starts with one ski. The biggest challenge is keeping balanced in the water while the boat is taking the slack out of the line, honestly you feel like your flopping all over the place. They make ski ropes with a T handle just down from the main handle, I have a link to show what I'm talking about.

Take the tip of your ski and stick it in the little triangle on the T handle while you sitting in the water. Doing that will hold the ski upright and keep you in line with the boat, as soon as you stand up the tip of the ski will obviously just pull back out of the T portion, then like others said just put your back foot on the back foot pad or in the strap. I start with both feet in now but i started out putting my back foot just behind my front foot that was strapped in at a 45 degree angle so it was super tight. that gave me the most power to stand up. I know it sounds like a lot but you'll understand once you get in the water and start trying.

Other than that hold the rope with a baseball grip nice and tight to your chest and keep the rope low around your belly button. Keep tucked up into a little ball until you think its safe to start standing up then wait about 5-7 more full seconds. Then start standing up strait and trying to place your back foot in the strap if you decide to go with the one foot method.

Biggest thing to keep in mind is that you will get really tired fast. Give it about 8 tries and if you dont get up, jump out of the water and take a rest, let someone else have a turn then go for it again. First time I tries I got super tired and just wore myself out and got very frustrated. Take breaks often and have fun.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/Airhe...entPage=family

Here's me still trying to do the course...have a lot of fun with it...but my day job is not in jeopardy 100_3563.jpg
    Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland