Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas type??

Default Gas type??

I was told this last weekend while out on the water that a non ethanol gas is the best type to run if I could, is there any truth to this that anyone would know? Right now I just run the normal unleaded, 10% ethanol. If this is true then I have a gas station that sells it right by the house but I have never heard this. Now for smaller engine stuff (lawn equipment) I have heard and do but not the boat, I have been known to be wrong a time or 2 though haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1998 Outback

Default Gas type??

ethanol tears up motors. you are very lucky to have a non ethanol station close to you. non ethanol is so sought after there are web sites and apps that help locate stations that sell non ethanol. I would for sure utilize that station

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

The best thing about the Non Ethanol is it doesn't leave deposits in the carb on the jets, so less maintenance.

Also Ethanol fuels tend to track more water to them.

Its always better to run NON Ethanol fuels when you can but sometimes the cost outweighs the benefits.

You can always use an Ethanol treatment in your fuel to counter effect the bad things with Ethanol.

I have Non Ethanol fuel in my little town but its always 5 a gallon. I only use it in my lawn equipment and when I winterize.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

If you have such a handy source of non-ethanol gas I wold highly recommend using it. Gas containing any ethanol is beyond evil, avoid it whenever possible.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

I try to use non-ethanol when I can... it usually only comes in the form of higher octane "premium" fuel (91 generally) and a higher price tag. Iowa has recently changed some things, we used to have 87 non-ethanol, 89 ethanol blend and then premium 90 - 92 with and without ethanol. Now, 89 is pretty much non-existent and 87 now has ethanol.

It probably has little impact on newer cars, especially if you're only going to own them for a few years. Still though, I try to avoid it and I go out of my way if needed to fill the boat up with non-ethanol.

Here is a good article on the topic:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-damage-engine
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

I run whatever octane rating the manufacturer recommends and don't have an issue with ethanol. there are many reports and tests out there that can show running octane ratings above what your vehicle is designed to burn on are just as detrimental as running too little octane ratings. the engine/ecu are set up to retard timing in the case of "bad" gas but not to advance it to the degree that running premium in an engine not equipped for it need. with some of the older boats, vaporlock was an issue but with the move to in-tank fuel pumps, it has virtually disappeared, just like in cars. if you are running your gas thru the tank regularly, ethanol is not an issue. it's when it sits for long periods of time that phase separation occurs. treat the gas with a sta-bil or any of it's variants for long term storage and you will be fine.

I view this whole topic as each person do the research and do what you feel comfortable with.

now get into e-15 and that's a whole different story.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Gas type??

Thanks guys, I think I'll see if the dollars make sense, if not just use the treatments.

1998 Outback

Dollars make cents

Default Gas type??

HA, I see what you did there!

1998 Outback