Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removed rear locker carpet and replaced with "rubber mat"

I've wanted to remove the carpet in the rear lockers because they were always wet after a day on the lake with wet life vests, ski gear, ballasts, etc. When I got home I would remove everything and get the shop vac out and dry the carpets so they wouldn't get smelly. I am OCD that way I was going to use Hydroturf but that stuff is pretty expensive. I kept looking online and came across this rubber mat that they had a Lowes Home Improvement store. It is a 4 X 8 ft sheet for $60. For that price I figured I would give it a try. Very easy DIY; unscrew everything in the lockers and remove, just grab the corner of the carpet and it pulled up in one piece, cleaned off remaining carpet glue with a scraper and wipe down the floor and you're ready to go.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Then I laid out the carpet on the mat and cut it out with a sharp razor bade. I placed it in the locker and trimmed a few spots so it fit nice and snug up against the carpet on the walls and to the edge of the floor next to the motor. I then marked on the mat were all the holes were for all the screws for the ballast lines, hoses, and the hinges for the fold down black "doors" to the engine (don't know the official name of that). I used some "outdoor" carpet glue from Home Depot and spread it thin on the floor and then laid down the mat. After letting things set up over night I went back and screwed everything back in place and it's all done. Very easy DIY.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

We went up to the lake the other day and after getting home and removing everything out of the locker all I did was take a towel and quickly wipe under the ballast bag and done I'll see how it holds up over the summer. Fyi, The 4 X 8 sheet is big enough to do both lockers IF you don't want to have it wide enough to go all the way to the edge of the floor inside the engine compartment like the carpet does. If you leave it about 2 inches short ( which would only be visible if you dropped down the black partition to the engine compartment) then you can do both sides with one sheet. If you want it exactly like the carpet covers, then you are going to need two sheets and you will have a lot of left over which is what I did. I may use the extra to put some on the floor of the ski locker instead of the "woven" black thing.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Default Removed rear locker carpet and replaced with "rubber mat"

This looks interesting and I'd like to know how it holds up this summer for you. I have carpet in my lockers too and it drives me crazy. Generally my ballast bags don't drain all the way and it holds all that moisture in. Creates a yucky mildew potential mess.

Nice DIY thanks for sharing
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Looks good. I did the same thing this year. Used the garage floor stuff from Sears though. Should dry out much faster. I didn't glue mine down though b/c I want to be able to take it out to clean it when I feel like it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Looks good. I did the same thing this year. Used the garage floor stuff from Sears though. Should dry out much faster. I didn't glue mine down though b/c I want to be able to take it out to clean it when I feel like it.
    Nice work, people still shop at Sears?
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

It was an online offer with pickup in store. Too cheap to pass up.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I'm searching Lowes.com and coming with scratch so far. By chance do you know the Lowes item number? Maybe from the receipt.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

FWIW you can get "B" stock sheets of Hydroturf for $40. If you want the 3M adhesive backing it will run you extra of course but very economical when putting in a locker where nobody will see it. I bought a sheet of B stock with adhesive backing to replace the steps on my trailer a couple years back and I haven't noticed any blemishes so far on the sections I've cut out. I use the stuff for everywhere!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet