Thread: freeze plug

Default freeze plug

I need to replace a freeze plug on a 2006 5.7L Indmar GM block. The plug is in a spot that appears the starter will have to be removed. Can anyone provide insight on how best to go about removing the starter? Any tricks to removing and installing the new plug?
    Thanks!

Starter is pretty straight forward.
    Remove the cables from battery. Then unbolt the starter.

Freeze plug, been a long time since i did one. When I did the last one I used a flat head screw driver, placed it just on the lower edge of the freeze plug and taped it. This caused it to rotate, bottom went in, pushed the top out, then I grabbed it with pliers and pulled it out. Used a large socket to tap the new one in.

2:25 shows a good way to knock them out.
    You might check local auto parts store, see if they have that fancy install tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouxbxE-BMNY
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Did the freeze plug come out over the winter?

On some boats it's almost impossible to pound a new freeze plug in.They have to go in straight.You can buy rubber ones that push in and you tighten a nut which tightens them in the hole.I've used them on boats before with good results.
    jy

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds pretty straight forward to remove the starter just seems like a tight space. I believe the plug did come out over the winter, I didn't find it until I started the motor, we had extreme cold here in Ohio this year, never had any problems before. I will look at the rubber ones for replacement also. This might keep me from having to remove the starter. Thanks again.

If the freeze plug came out because of freezing conditions you could have other problems.GM engines like to crack blocks under the intake manifold.Keep an eye on your oil to make sure it,s not getting water in it.
    jy

Thanks again to everyone who provided comments. I installed a rubber one that kept me from having to remove the starter. Ran motor to normal operating temps and no other issues.