Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

One suggestion... I'd recommend wrapping the sub enclosure with vinyl (not "vinylwrap" like a sticker, but vinyl like the upholstery is made of). With all the carpet it looks like a big fuzzy monster...

RARRRR! GRRRR!!!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

[QUOTE=New Guy;263487]Well I figured that I better revive this thread with a little update. After a few discussions and several bears we decieded to redo the sub situation. I'm going to be pulling the XS-XXX out and putting it in the Moomba (maybe 2) but we are going to go with 2JL 12W7's and 2 JL HD1200/1 powering them.

I'm certainly an advocate of JL Audio subwoofers and I consider the W7 to be 'THE' reference subwoofer that all others are compared to. However (you knew this was coming) in your quest for output I would hate for you to compromise such a precision piece of engineering by placing it in a location that is bad for sound quality or splitting two subs into separate locations, which is also bad for SQ. Not sure exactly what the plan is but I would carefully research beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    I'm certainly an advocate of JL Audio subwoofers and I consider the W7 to be 'THE' reference subwoofer that all others are compared to. However (you knew this was coming) in your quest for output I would hate for you to compromise such a precision piece of engineering by placing it in a location that is bad for sound quality or splitting two subs into separate locations, which is also bad for SQ. Not sure exactly what the plan is but I would carefully research beforehand.
    I should be able to get both of them in a box under the helm in a sealed box. What are your thoughts on one sub firing into the cabin and the other fire into the hull? I could do both firing into the hull but I would loose a lot of foot room.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

I was thinking something along these lines. It should net me 2.77ft3 internally. I was going to do a 1.25" lexan front and the interior with a carbon fiber overlay.
    -Mark
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Mark, is that a vents or LEDs on the fuzzy monster sides, I see the heater ports.

The jl setup should pound.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Ports with a box built to WS spec.
    -Mark

"Hey you only live once"

Default Humble Stereo V2.o

That clearly looks to be more than a 1 beer job!

Never been a fan of that particular Wetsounds twin ported box. There's about 70% more port wall area in comparison to the same port surface area of a single port design. A single port design has less drag and would have a slight efficiency advantage. Plus, the greater port wall mass of twin ports makes the overall enclosure displacement larger. It's not necessary, although it looks good.
    Glad to see both JL Audio subs going in the same location.
    Might as well, remove the cluster and get busy with a Dynamat application to the interior of the helm console. With two W7s everything that covers the helm structure will become a sympathetic resonator.
    Ideal is side-by-side and out-firing. If there's room you can elevate the enclosure enough to fit your feet underneath.
    Next closest to ideal would be two side-firing subs in opposing directions, each about 6-inches removed from any adjacent plane, like the hull and helm pass-thru wall. This also has a byproduct of creating less tactile energy (of the distortion type) that tends to jackhammer the boat into submission.
    What you have is an acceptable compromise. A couple of feet difference in phase response makes an audible difference in the transient attack of first impulses. It's less about the distance differential and more about the phase delay created by the helm cavity. Sometimes a helm cavity has a similar impact on phasing as would a tuned port box.
    Before building the box, I would determine how those magnets interact when positioned so close. If there is no attraction/repulsion than there is no concern.
    Not sure if you know how much internal pressure two 12W7s can generate. I hope you can keep a plex baffle sealed.

Thanks for the help David. I have a couple tricks up my sleeve to keep everything sealed. The box will be elevated off the sole to allow airflow. I also plan on dynamating everything under the helm.

I was slightly concerned about the boundary loading causing issues. I have about 10" of room between the sub and outside hull so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue.

The magnets at the closest point are going to be 3" apart do you think that this could cause issues?
    Here is a shot with the top off of the box.
    -Mark

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    Thanks for the help David. I have a couple tricks up my sleeve to keep everything sealed. The box will be elevated off the sole to allow airflow. I also plan on dynamating everything under the helm.

I was slightly concerned about the boundary loading causing issues. I have about 10" of room between the sub and outside hull so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue.

The magnets at the closest point are going to be 3" apart do you think that this could cause issues?
    Here is a shot with the top off of the box.
    Don't anticipate an issue with the magnet to magnet proximity. That looks like good enough isolation.
    10-inches of room is well beyond anything you should be concerned about with a side-firing sub.
    My only concern was a unified phase front between the two subs. Nothing you would hear on bass and drum lines produced on a sampler (whether electronic or software) or SoftSynth software such as most synthesized bass in Hip Hop, Rap, Dub Step, etc. More of an issue with the music I listen to which is real studio artists playing real music instruments.