Hybrid View

Default Boat Safety Advice Thread

It occurred to me from the tie down thread posted earlier that this thread might be a great idea. If we help each other avoid one accident or one injury this year, it will be worth it. So, post up your best safety advice. We have hundreds of years of boating experience between us. Let's share our knowledge and experience for the common good.

Here's my contribution:

Your winch strap on your trailer is not a tie down; it's just a winch strap. It pulls the boat forward but does not tie it down to the trailer. Use a proper tie down to secure the boat to the trailer at the bow eye and at both points on the transom.

(Let's try not to fill this thread up with posts containing comments only. You can add comments to your post as long as it also contains a point about safety. Thanks!)
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Check the weather! my father in law and uncle in law got caught in a real bad storm when out fishing.. scared them both badly.. be aware of the conditions

Sent from my apple crushin android device
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Lets point the obvious!

Your head should always be on a swivel. Always being aware of your surroundings will help eliminate accidents.
    Stephen
    2009 Mobius LSV
    Black and Yellow

Have a calm/clear head. No need to be hot headed while on the boat, launching, cruising, loading. Fun will be had by all.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

1st priority as the driver of the boat is the safety of the rider and those in the boat, not the music or comfort of the other passengers.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Remind all (kids) to remain seated while underway in a calm voice. We had one stand in the bow at the same time I hit the throttle to pull someone up. He looked like a TMT rolling to the back of the boat. Those my age should know what TMT stand for. I'll share later.

I've towed in a few boaters and it's never ruined my day. my safety tip would be bring some tow ropes to help a fellow boater out to make a better day for them

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Bring plenty of beer so in the event of a break down the party doesn't stop while you wait on a tow!

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Whenever the prop is spinning ensure the skier and their equipment is in full view of the driver.

Always approach a person in the water on the drivers side of the boat.

With Outboards and Stern Drives - turn off the motor when people are entering/exiting the boat.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off